leg injury/infection from rusty barbed wire

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by j and bs hens, Jun 4, 2012.

1. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chirping

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    A couple days ago, our girls were free ranging and our brahama got stuck in our neighbours fence. I cleaned the wound and put her in iso.

This morning I took a look at it and her leg is turning green. There is no swelling at the site of the wound or on her leg. I'm not sure what to do, I've cleaned at the site, and tried to put some of the cleaning solution inside the leg. It won't go in, as there is no absessed pocket!

I have no idea how to fix this, and there are no vets in our area that treat chickens.

[​IMG]

any imput would be greatly appreciated

2. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    IF you can find goldenseal tincture or powder, I would stick some on/in there & put it in the drinking water... along w/ echinacea. (I'm an herbalist so thats the only kind of advice I feel comfortable giving.)
    Those two herbs together will kill infection, but something topically that I would use in conjunction is a plantain salve: I have heard of people curing gang green w/ plantain.
    U probably have some growing near by & can make ur own salve or just chew some up & stick it in/on the wound.

3. charsbird

charsbird Chirping

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    Chicken bruising is greenish, so she'll probably heal just fine on her own.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I don't believe it is infected. I'd just keep some antibiotic ointment on there after cleaning with betadine/iodine solution. The wound itself looks good.

5. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chirping

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Thank you all so much!!! I was so worried that this would kill her.

6. xcchickenman

xcchickenman In the Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Hey! I have the same thing on one of my chicks, but her leg won't move at all-- do you have any advice for this?

7. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    awe! I'm sorry... how old is the chick? u said her leg can't move at all?? did something happen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: