leg injury on RIR pullet (chicken tractor ran her leg over)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jefra, May 9, 2007.

1. jefra

jefra Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Utah Valley
    so DH was pulling the chicken tractor and not paying attention. when he looked back my (favorite *sigh*) RIR was just standing behind the tractor not moving. He put her back in and when I went out to see her she was just kind of laying all retracted (like kinda balled up). She favors her right leg and I can see a scrape (not broken skin or bloody, just scraped) on it. She's very mellow and sleepy.

What do I do now??

Thanks.

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Someone with more expertise than me should be along shortly. My suggestion: isolate her, give her a light for warmth, offer organic apple cider vinegar, treat the wound with neosporin, and keep an eye on her.

I hope she recovers well.

PS, did you notice anything out of joint or broken bone?

3. jefra

jefra Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Utah Valley
    thanks so much! she just favors the leg. It feels a little bit warm but nothing "looks" wrong. Shes also panting (from stress i think).

?

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    You can make an aspirin solution for pain. The ratio is 5 aspirins to 1 gallon of water. Those are the 5-grain tablets, preferably the uncoated variety.
    Watch for leg swelling because her leg might be broken.

This very situation happened to my SLW when she was about 3 months old. Her leg had a scrape but it was really broken. Her leg had swelling and it didn't look oddly positioned, but an x-ray showed a greenstick fracture. It took about 30 phone calls (not joking) to find a vet willing to treat Priscilla. She wore a cast for a month. It took about another 3 weeks to regain enough strength in her leg to rejoin the rest of the flock.
    Stephanie

5. hencackle

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    jefra--is your chicken doing any better today?
    Stephanie

6. jefra

jefra Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Utah Valley
    thanks so much stephanie!

believe it or not she is! she doesn't even seem to be limping. I think we got lucky.

thanks for everything,

hugs
    j

7. hencackle

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Glad to hear your hen is doing better, Jefra. [​IMG]
    Stephanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by