Leg injury or abscess?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ccrawf, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ccrawf

ccrawf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Springfield, Missouri
    OK, let me try to explain my problem. I have a Bourbon Red Hen that is about 3 years old. She has been a good bird and has had no health problems in the past. About 2 weeks ago I noticed she was limping. When I checked closer, I noticed a type of abscess on one leg below the knee. It appears dry and when I put Hydrogen peroxide on it got no reaction. I wrapped it with and antibiotic ointment and gauze several days ago, but saw no improvement. When I took the wrap off, it still looks the same, there was no sign or smell of rotting or infection, just the dry abscess. She hobbles and is reluctant to put weight on the leg, but can and does when she is chased or cornered.

I am at a total loss as to what this can be or how to treat it. I have considered culling her as an excess hen, and while that is still a possibility, I would rather heal her. Any one have any ideas what this is, what caused it or how to effectively treat it? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

She may need an antibiotic, there may be more going on underneath the surface of the wound. I have a pheasant hen that had something similar, I gave her Baytril and it seemed to clear up although she still has dry skin in that spot.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Hard to tell from shots. Add some antifungal cream to the antibiotic ointment when you wrap it (just to rule that out). Could also be cancer. Definitely try a round of the systemic antibiotic before culling.

Must be some involvement in the tibiotarsal joint to cause that much guarding and gimpiness.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by