leg injury with older chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saltidog, Jun 18, 2019.

1. saltidog

saltidog Chirping

Apr 10, 2014
    Northeastern PA
    Good evening, I have a Rhode Island red approximately 7 to 8 weeks old. About 2 weeks ago I noticed her walking with her leg out to the side. I tried stretching her leg back as if there was a slipped tendon so it would pop back in but nothing happened. I also tried rolling my fingers over her hock joint but again, nothing. As you can see in the picture, the left hock is much larger. I have wrapped it but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have a video of her walking. So I took a few screen shots to get a good idea. I started her on a few drops of polyvisol vitamins just in case it's a vitamin thing. Ideas? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    If you are giving vitamins, be sure to give mostly vitamin B, as it is best to help strengthen legs.

seminolewind and saltidog like this.
  3. saltidog

saltidog Chirping

Apr 10, 2014
    Northeastern PA
    I have b complex pills. Would that be better?

seminolewind and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Sounds good! :thumbsup

saltidog likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    For video, upload to youtube or similar platform, provide us a link.

It looks like she is suffering from a leg bone deformity Valgus Varus. Sadly, if that's what is going on with her, then there is no fix.
    You can try to splint to help support it, B-Complex may give a bit of strength, for that age group i would give 1/4 tablet daily for a week or so.
    Some chickens can learn to adapt and move around o.k. Sometimes the leg gets worse as they gain weight or they are picked on.
    I would not use her for breeding.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-chick-with-weird-leg.978353/
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

seminolewind likes this.
  6. saltidog

saltidog Chirping

Apr 10, 2014
    Northeastern PA
    Thank you @Wyorp Rock. I uploaded the video on you tube . . .learned something else new! As you can see she gets along pretty good with her flock. Let me know what you think and anyone else here. I started her on the B complex this a.m. Here is the link:

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's cute! Your chicks look good. She's moving fairly well isn't she?!
    It's one of those things where it's like wait and see what happens. I know that's not the best answer. Some have birds with a deformity like this that does very well and thrives, lays eggs, etc., while others have seen it worsen, the chick start failing and they made a hard decision that there was no quality of life there.

saltidog likes this.
  8. saltidog

saltidog Chirping

Apr 10, 2014
    Northeastern PA
    thank you @Wyorp Rock! if you noticed, there are 3 turkens in the group. they are pretty neat little birds! and this girl is my first of Rhode Island Reds ever! They are beautiful birds! yes. she does get around well. the thing is that I never noticed an injury until about 2 weeks ago. was it that I didn't notice a deformity OR does she have an injury?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sometimes leg bone deformities are not that noticeable until they start growing/gaining weight.

saltidog likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: