1. Autumnchickens

Autumnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    My brown leghorn won't use one leg. She was fine this morning but when I came back later to give them fresh water she wouldn't even stand up. At first I though she was just about to take a dirt bath, but she never got up. I stood her up but she was only standing on one leg. She used her wings to keep herself up right. I looked at her foot and her leg but I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary, the only thing I could tell was that her toes were not curled like they usualy do when her leg is up (like when I pick her up and she pulls her legs up), inoted they were sticking strait out close together. I set her in the coop because I found her in the dirt and it's cool and windy out, I didn't want her to get cold. She got up from where I put her, hopped a bit and sat back down after almost falling a couple of times.

This is my first flock of chickens and I don't know much so I would realy appreciate anything you guys have to offer, like, anything specific I should look for or something. Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Does she hold her leg up, or does the leg seem asleep or paralyzed? While leg injuries are very common from landing wrong off a roost or fence, Mareks disease can cause paralysis in one or both legs or wings, imbalance, twisted neck, tumors, and sometimes eye changes. I would place her in a pen inside the coop with her own food and water within reach. Try some poultry vitamins including riboflavin in her water, since a vitamin deficiency could also be possible. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. A chicken sling or chair may help get her upright, keeping her cleaner while she recovers.

3. Autumnchickens

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    She holds it up, she does use it if she falls but only for a second. She won't use it to walk. She's about 2.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sounds more like an injury. Sprains or broken bones can take a few weeks to heal. Hip or upper thigh injuries are less likely to heal. It would be good to give her a couple of weeks to rest her leg, and go from there. I have seen one of my hens hold a leg up for 6 weeks, but could get around well enough to eat and drink. One I had that limped, recently was put down after almost a year of limping everywhere the gang went. She never recivered, and was wasting from not getting enough to eat. I had confined her for a couple of weeks with food and water, but she never got over it. Finally even the most low ranking bantam was pecking and attacking her, so I ended her suffering.

5. Autumnchickens

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    Last night it was cold to were I had to put a heat lamp in my coops, since Ginger couldn't move some other chickens were pecking all her feathers out. I made a place for her in my room, I used a dog crate (not a carrier, like, a cage) I put hay in it, got her food and water. She drank like she had never drank before, she wouldnt eat though. I covered 3 faces of it with a blanket. I woke up early this morning to check on her, but I found her dead.

Ginger was the hen that would follow us down the driveway to get the paper on Sundays...

6. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    I had a silkie hen who had the same injury. When she hurt her leg she would just jump around and couldn't even leave the coop. Give your hen her own food and water and let it take care of itself. She took about two weeks before she started walking again but even then she had a limp.

7. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    I just finished reading your last post and I'm so sorry to hear she passed away! Do you have a rooster and did she have any open cuts or wounds on her body?

8. Autumnchickens

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    I have 2 roosters, separated of coarse. I looked over her and she didn't have any cuts or wounds, I thought maybe she hurt herself with her own spurs but there's nothing.

She was something special, one of my smaller birds but gave big white eggs. Gingers a brown leghorn, and for some reason she grew herself a pair of spurs. Probably the most energetic bird I had in my flock. If you when out to the coop, Ginger was the first one you were gonna see, and she was going to follow you everywere until you picked her up.

My pit bull, louie, he's the sweetest dog ever. He goes in the pen with me all the time and he even helps herd them in sometimes when I've let them go out into the yard. When Ginger died, he wouldn't let any other dogs near the crate she was in, he sat there and watched us take care of her and even followed my mom outside our yard to go bury her.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    That's neat your dog had that bond with her. Maybe if she landed wrong she could have hurt any of her organs.

10. fatherclucker

fatherclucker New Egg

Nov 26, 2016
    I have a three month old Easter egger. She is in a flock of 7 other sisters. A few weeks ago we noticed she went gimpy and today I noticed she now won't put her left leg down at all. She eats and drinks fine. The other girls don't bother her and when I held her and inspected her she doesn't make any noises or flinches from pain. Her feet and toes move--I don't want to put her down for something that I might be able to fix. They have been on medicated starter mash and have probiotics in their water. In general, they are all a happy group. I have read about Maerks--does this sound possible? I was thinking of taking her out of the coop and putting her in a brooder in the garage to give her a chance to rest--would that be OK??--would that mess up the "pecking order"??

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by