Leg injury?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Taj_MaChicken, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky
    Two of our ducks came from a "farm." I use that term loosely, as the lady was basically an animal hoarder and just had land and buildings for all of her animals to roam.

When we got the ducks from her, I didn't see fresh food or water, and figured we would he giving them a better home. We have another duck that came from someone who got it because it was "cute."

Fast forward to now. One of the farm ducks has a limp. I assume none of them were given proper nutrition for the first several weeks of their lives before we got them. I tried putting her in a pen inside, but since she wasn't handled by previous owners, I felt she was going to hurt herself any time we needed to get in the cage, as she would freak out and try to run... so back outside she went.

I give them a vitamin supplement in their water, and as peas as snacks. They forage all day, and have access to feed as well. We were on vacation recently, and the person watching our animals didn't take care of them... not happy about it, but can't do anything to change the past.

It's like she had a hip problem. She can't extend her leg to reach her face, and the more she walks the worse the limp. We have a kiddie pool for them to swim in.

I don't know what to do with her. She doesn't act like she's in pain. I don't want to make it worse, but separating her isn't ideal.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Put them all into a smaller area for now so she is over exerting herself trying to keep up.

Can you get a video put on here? you need to load it on You tube of Vimeo then copy and paste it here.

How old is she is she laying and what do you feed them? Vitamin supplement how much niacin does it have?

Taj_MaChicken likes this.
  3. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky
    They're in our fenced in yard, which isn't large. They don't have access to our acreage, currently, but I know she just wants to keep up with the other ducks.

Trying to upload a video now.

I don't have the vitamin in front of me, so I don't know the exact dosage. I can't give her anything orally because she won't come to me, nor will she allow me to pick her up, and I don't want to risk injuring her by ha ing to catch her.

They might be 2 months old. No laying eggs around here, yet.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

They need at least a 100 mgs of niacin a day you can use Nutritional yeast at 1 Tab per cup of feed or when having trouble liquid B complex works faster and better TSC has the best in the cattle dept it will say injectable but peel off the foil and use a dropper to get out 1 ml per duck put into a small bucket of water so they get a better chance at getting a good dose In her. If you suspect hip then an X-ray would probably reveal the problem but usually most leg problems are from niacin deficiency from a young age.

5. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky

6. Miss Lydia

You should pick her up so you can examine her checking both hips so you can tell if one is different from the others.

7. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky
    I've pushed, poked, prodded on her... I don't see or feel anything obvious, and she doesn't act like she's in pain.

I was hoping it was just a weaker muscle from vitamin deficiency, but she's not overly cooperative and I feel confinement to the house with us is too stressful for her. Maybe I'll look into the Brewers yeast and the other vitamin you suggested.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Skip the Brewers yeast an opt for Nutritional yeast. It has more niacin. But honesty the liquid B complex from TSC is the best once there is a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: