1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg injury??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Janet was walking a little funny at lunch today. Then tonight when hubby when to put them in the pen, she couldn't walk at all. Looks like 1 leg is more of a problem than the other, but when she was out of her pool, she couldn't walk. Nothing looks broken and I can't find any wounds. She was perfectly fine first thing this morning. We have her in separate pen with heat in the garage for tonight, but I am clueless.

Could this be a niacin issue? Do ducks have strokes? Could too intensive mating make her temporarily lame?

Tomorrow morning I will get vitamins for her water and some brewers yeast just in case.

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i had a problem with my victor limping and falling over for a day... I couldn't find any wounds or anything broken as well. I took him to the vet but they couldn't find anything wrong with him either... I suppose it could be a tired thing. Victor was better by the next day. She could have twisted it or sprained it esp if she's being mounted by a big bad male duck. If the probem persists, i'd keep her somewhere she can rest, like a baby play pen or a big cardboard box in the garage or laundry room... Somewhere you can keep an eye on her. I would def get some vitamins for her water and some brewer's yeast. It can't do any bad!

3. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That's the plan. She is in a big rubbermaid tub lined with a thick layer of shavings right now. The other ducks are freaked out that she is missing and Jack is seriously ticked his favorite girl is not in sight [​IMG]

4. Hope she gets better real soon! [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, she still cant stand up or walk, but she is eating and drinking. She also has enough spunk to take a nip out of my husband when he tried to change her water [​IMG]

I am going to try to let her float in the bathtub later today and see how she does.

6. idahodebra

idahodebra Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Could it be a mating injury? I am becoming quickly educated in the nature of duck s3x, and I can see why my girls are constantly limping [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It could be. I did give her the vitamins in her water and added some brewer's yeast to her food just in case.

8. JesusSavedMe

JesusSavedMe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Earth
    Something similar happened to my goose.It took me days to figure out what was wrong.Finally I found a small scratch on his le.I did not think that would cause it then someone told me that waterfowl have fragile
    legs.so i medicated the scratch with neosporin and some dermoplast spray.pretty soon the cut healed and he was back to normal

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Janet is currently receiving a hydrotherapy spa treatment in an effort to heal her leg. (Ok, so she is just floating in the bath tub, but hydrotherapy sounds so much cooler!)

10. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    geese and ducks have ligaments in there legs and where their leg connect to their bodies. in the spring when there is alot of rough "playing" they pull and/or tear these ligaments.

You need to keep them seperate for a week or 2 otherwise they will continue running or gimping around trying to keep up with everybody else and it won't heal.

I have a female muscovy and a female goose with this injury right now. Females get like this more often, but males can be injured too.

After they hurt the ligament the heaveir ducks(muscovies) and geese tend to have a hard time walking the first few days of injury.

But don't let them fool you, you will think it's all healed up because they walk fine and the next thing you know they are back to square one. [​IMG]

good luck

julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by