Leg injury?

AMaggio

Chirping
Jun 21, 2019
Hi all, i have a three week old Easter egger who i found stuck in a corner this afternoon on its side. When i went to check on her she was holding her leg oddly so i pulled her out. I can't find any swelling and she doesn't flinch when i touch her. I checked her hips, knee, ankle, and toes for cut or injuries of any kind. I can't find anything. I think she might have sprained something but im not sure. She'll stand but can't put weight in the right leg. I thought maybe something was broken but can't find a break or swelling. Not sure what to look for but for now she isolated with food and water.
Here's some images of how she's babying the leg. She is eating and still at a healthy weight so it must have happened recently.
20190821_165731.jpg
20190821_170431.jpg
20190821_170733.jpg
20190821_170759.jpg

I am definitely NOT an expert at all.
I would suggest offering her foods rich in riboflavin such as eggs.
A vitamin B supplement is not a bad idea. Most farm stores carry it.

In the mean time tell us more about this chick....

How many birds in with this one?
Any others having any off symptoms?
What feed do you feed?
What treats do you feed including how much and how often?
How high up is the tallest thing in the coop that they could get on....even if you think "no way can they get up there"?

I am sure other much more knowledgeable people will be along shortly.

I would give the chicken vitamins that include riboflavin. Human vitamin B complex is also good instead, 1/4 tablet crushed daily. There could have been an injury or it may be a riboflavin deficiency. Make sure the chick keeps in contact with the other chicks, but don’t let it get trampled.

I'm sorry about your chick.

I would give her some poultry vitamins containing B2 (Riboflavin).
Hopefully it's just a sprain or injury. She's a little young but it could be some early symptoms of Marek's disease. If possible, keep her near the other chicks so she not lonely. Keep her eating/drinking.

Did a bit of research and it might be a foot injury or riboflavin deficiency. In leaning towards injury and made her a boot out of tape to help it heal. Will keep everyone posted. If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.

I'm sorry your baby is going through this, I will tag a couple of others that may be able to help.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @21hens-incharge

Thank you

Don't cut yourself short, you have given so great advice.

Mostly things I have learned here on BYC and putting myself in the OP's spot. Kind of a "what would I do" thought process. :p

Thanks for your confidence in me. :)

Thanks all, she was in a container with 10 other chicks. They were overdue to be put outside but we had some extreme tempuratures and i opted to keep them in this week, so its more crowded than it shou d be. Their. Rooder has a lid on it so they dont hop out. The highest they can go is only about a foot tall. Right now she's isolated with one other docile chick because these guys get really excited by movement and i'm guess that thus one got trampled or steppec on. Found her on her back the night before last and figured she was just being quirky but yesterday morning i noticed her acting oddly and thats when i noticed her symtoms. I don't think its a curled toe issue anymore i think its her leg or hip. After watching her with the other chick i noticed she ant curl her first joint under her to walk so i think she curled her toes as a makeshift peg leg. Even when she does bring her leg under her the hip bone pretrudes from her back. I'll get a picture of that in a moment.

To answer all those questions:

right now she's with one chick she was with 10 others.
They're all on organic starter non-medicated along with three duckling
No one else is showing symptoms
Highest reachable point is no more and a foot and a little.
They are not getting additional treat, i save that for when they're outside which was supposed to be today...

If you can straighten her toes flat, you can tape them on the bottom and top in place which can help her straighten them. Do not force the toes open though, just do it if she will straighten them.

Is she able to move around enough to get food and water? Have you tried leaving the shoe off to see if she can flatten her toes? How far apart are her legs? I am not a fan of the rubber band treatment, but prefer the vet wraps strips below or the bandaid cut in half lengthwise. Usually, the leg hobble only needs to be on for 5 days to be effective. I hope that she begins to improve soon, but some problems do not get better. Letting her try to get along on her own without the hobble and shoe might be an option. Some chickens learn how to get along with their disabilities.

upload_2019-8-30_11-1-8.png

Back
Top Bottom