Leg injury

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
I would appreciate it if some of you with experience could evaluate Scarlets leg problem. I hope I’m able to attach video. 2 days ago something must have grabbed her as she had a small yet bloody superficial wound under her neck. (Today that area looks good. ) She was scared and quiet the rest of the day. I also noticed the “limp” or unusual gate. She held her leg up much of the time.I checked her thoroughly for additional wounds. When I moved her leg around she didn’t seem to mind. the video shows her at her worst. There has been some improvement. I gave her about 70mg aspirin yesterday. When there are treats she seems to run and forget about her leg. Since first day she is acting normal except for unusual gate. Any ideas? Tendon strain tear? Dislocated? I don’t have a chicken vet. My dog vet wouldn’t even do a stool check on a chicken! I’m not sure if I should let her keep ranging with the others or keep the leg quite in a dog cage. She is a Barred rock and 14mos old. She basically “free ranges” during the day on about an acre of woods, grass etc. thanks so much for any info. Also thank you for all the advise given on this site as I’m learning so much!!! I’m having trouble adding my video. When I hit attach files only my photos, but not my videos. Any ideas? Is there a special way to add a video? I guess my questions are useless unless you can see what I’m talking about lol.

You have to upload your video to a hosting site like youtube and link it here
Oh thanks a lot! Now if I just had one of my kids still at home to show me how to do that!!!! I will give it a try. If I can’t I’ll find someone to help me so my video may be later in posting.

There seems to be some kind of ring around her limping leg. Did you check if it is cutting into her leg? This sometimes happens and can lead to limping or worse.

ETA: And if the ring is not the culprit, check her crop and see if it empties properly over night. In the morning it should be completely empty before she gets anything to eat or drink.
Sometimes chronic crop issues/impactions can lead to this kind of limping walk, as the chicken tries to help the crop movements and/or move the crop out of the way while walking.

If this was caused by the unknown accident, it should heal on its own in time.

Last edited:
The red band is nice and loose. I have three bard rocks so it helps me Tell them apart. I will check her crop in the morning that’s a good idea. Thanks so much!🐓

I would keep an eye on her walking. It may be an injury, but if her foot or leg seems numb, I would also try to rule out Mareks disease. Do you know if she was vaccinated? It would not hurt to give 1/4 tablet of human vitamin BComplex daily crushed into a little food or a spoonful of water fed to her. Make sure the ring doesn’t get stuck on the upper leg. I hate leg bands. They can get embedded into the legs, especially if the chicken changes homes and the new owner doesn’t check. Some paint toenails to tell hens apart, and there is a way to use a toe punch too.

Yes she was vaccinated. I do have vitamin B and will try it. I’m glad you mentioned the ring. Now that I think about it I don’t need them anymore anyway and why take the risk. As babies I couldn’t tell them apart but now that they are grown( 14 mos) it’s easy. In the future if needed I’ll try the nail polish. A goodpoint for other new to chicken readers too.! Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom