Leg injury

joer189

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Today I noticed that one of my 3-4 month old chickens has a leg deformity. I would describe it as valgus at the joint just below the hip? Is that the hock? Limps quite a bit. Appears to give out to the valgus position (lateral) upon weight bearing. No obvious palpable bones out of place or anything, although the joint in question (hock?) does feel deformed compared to the other and seems painful to the bird. No sure how this happened but a roosts did come loose about 2 weeks ago, maybe fell on her, its my 4 year olds favorite bird and feeling pretty guilty about not securing that thing better. Hoping to rehab her, I’m a physical therapist so I can do that to people, chickens though?
First time with chickens as well. Generally not sure what to do. Planning to isolate her to allow rest and easier access to food and water. I could gauze it and wrap it with Coban if it may help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll try to attach a pic as well.

Here are my answers to the suggested items

What type of bird , age and weight.
3-4 months, 2 pounds?
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Limping, not walking much
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2 weeks but just noticed deformity today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Roost board may have fell on her
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Organic feed, water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal?
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
isolation
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat completely myself if possbile
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Will try that
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
7x3 foot pen in garage while coop is being finished up

Thanks in advance

Joe

Last edited:
Hmm. A few years ago, one of my "gimpy" chickens was acting like her leg was broken. She couldn't bear weight on it and it kind of jutted out to the side. I brought her in, tried chicken physical therapy
roll.png
and after a little bit, she was normal again. I'm not sure what could be wrong with your birdy, but I would seperate her. If that's the only obvious problem you could be having, I would watch her. Good luck!

I'm not sure what could be wrong with your birdy, but I would seperate her. If that's the only obvious problem you could be having, I would watch her. Good luck!

X2​

Back
Top Bottom