Leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lagraham123, Feb 27, 2014.

1. lagraham123

lagraham123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Hello
    I have a chick who hatched 3 days ago. She had an injured hock. I suspected a slipped Achilles but wasn't sure. I brought her to the vet yesterday who said she has less then a 50% chance of recovering. He said he thinks its just an injury from being Born, maybe cut on the shell. Anyway, he said we could euthanize or try antibiotics and tape her legs together. Long story short is that I made her a chick chair. She spent yesterday and last night in, and was miserable and sad. I felt like it was in humane, so I untaped her. So today she is petitioned in the brooder from the others so she can rest and heal. She can get around, but her leg s swollen, so she can't walk. I've been nursing her with food and water. I'm nt sure what else to do. I'm looking for ideas and support! I don't want to make the wrong decision. She so badly wants to run and play with the others. She's on antibiotics twice a day. Thank you

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by