1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KelsiNS, Jan 6, 2015.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    My barred rock hen, Hazel began limping about a week and a half ago. No biggie, I've had several sprain something and manage to walk it off within about 48 hours. I kept an eye on her and she limped around but was still navigating just fine. After about 6 days, she was barely limping.

Fast forward to Saturday, and she is back to full-blown-leg-dragging cripple. Yesterday she moped in the coop for the majority of the day and today she wouldn't come out at all. I have manipulated this leg about a dozen times over the past two weeks, and nothing feels broken or dislocated. She has no feeling it seems from her hock down, but the tendon hasn't slipped and nothing is swollen or hot.

Her knee feels different on that leg, but she has lost muscle mass on that side and I may just be feeling that. she doesn't protest when I move it, but it just hangs limp when I let it go.

So she moved into the bedroom until I figure out what on earth is up with this bird. She's gotten a round of antiibiotics just in case, an anti inflammatory for any joint issues, and she is eating and drinking like a horse...or possibly like my hogs.

I have palpated everything down her spine, hips, and legs and everything is identical except the muscle on her bad leg, which has atrophied. Any ideas?

Don't suggest a vet-there are none locally, I have to be vet to all my livestock. -_-

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Mareks is a disease that can cause paralysis of a leg or wing, among other symptoms that might or might not be present. A bad injury or break that caused nerve damage could also be the problem. Sometimes leg bone deformities can progress with age causing the hock tendon to rupture. Have you ever lost any of your chickens who had an odd symptoms, such as wasting away, poor balance or stumbling, or paralysis? Were they vaccinated for Mareks?

3. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    She is almost two (march) and the whole flock has been healthy ever since our avian pox/respiratory infection when they were all four months old. Never needed to treat for worms or lice, nothing more intensive in the flock other than ACV in the waterers. Never vaccinated, but I run a closed farm-nobody around here has any livestock, just me-and nobody is allowed on the property if they have livestock, we negotiate sales in the driveway. my farm shoes stay here, my going out shoes never go near my animals.

4. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Just went and hung out with the invalid.

Poop is normal, still being very alert. Has eaten a good amount of feed I left with her, and I have refilled her water. Talkative as usual, but still just sitting down with her bad leg kind of off to the side or behind her. still no evident breaks, no fever, no swelling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by