1. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    So my dog got a little overzealous in rounding up a chicken from the top of our very very steep hill and scared her so she made a crash landing at the bottom of the hill. She is my biggest hen and came down hard on one leg and now is not putting any weight on it.It seems to all be intact from a manual inspection, she just wont put weight on it and is now tucked under the poop board hunkered down. Is there anything I can/should do for the pain? should I just make sure she has food/water close and see if it feels better soon? I feel so bad cause I was the one that told her to find the stray chicken and now she is hurt.

2. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    We had a BA that was one of our heaver birds. I am guessing her injury was from jumping off the roost. She had a bad limp and I took her to the vet after 3 days. He looked her over and didn't find anything. After a week she was fine. At first she stood around on one let or sat on the ground for days so I was concerned but there was nothing for me to do but wait and watch.
    I hope yours is nothing major and will recover with time.

3. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    @Urban Flock , thanks for the quick reply, and making me feel a bit better about it. My instincts tell me she will most likely be fine but my heart says worry. I was trying to make a comfy spot it at the bottom of the coop with new straw for her in case she cant make it to the roost tonight and she hopped out to the run and actually ate a bit which made me feel better so I will just watch and see I suppose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by