1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg mites and possible bumblefoot!!! PICS Added...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hello,ive got a 2 yr.old silkie hen that has been broody for about 2-3 weeks,so shes been sitting on a nest.Today when i was out with them,she was off the nest and i noticed she was limping.When i checked her feet i saw she had the scaley leg mites and 1 of her feet are badly swollen.I brought her in and soakes her foot in epsom salts and treated her with ivermectin(i do that with any bird that im going to keep in the house)and put her in a clean cage.I just got done soaking her again and i think im seeing bumblefoot on the top of her foot in the middle of the swollen area.Now her feet are bad from the mites(i didnt notice due to her sitting on a nest)so she could also be in pain from that.So my question is-which do i take care of first,the scales(soaking)or the bumblefoot,which i will need to keep her foot wrapped with the scales til healed? I appreciate any advice,she seems like shes in alot of pain.
    P.S. i know what to do about the mites,ive dealt with them before,so please just advice on my poor little girl...I feel so guilty.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hi, Kyrose [​IMG] If it were me, I would treat the leg mites first, since they are easy to treat and you should see rather fast improvement. Once you get those under control, you might be better able to determine whether she has bumblefoot as well. I think the swelling could be caused by the mites, so she may indeed not have bumblefoot. Is there a scab on the bottom of her foot?

3. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I just went through the exact same thing, scaly legs and limping. I vaselined her feet and legs, or actually I'm using bag balm, treated with Ivomec. Brought her in for a couple of days so I could also soak her feet and make sure she ate really well, 1 week later and she's fine.

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:First,thanks for the replies.I dont see a scab on the bottom of the foot but it looks like a scab on top of her her foot.can they have the scab on top of the foot,or is it always on the bottom?

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I personally have only seen the scab on the bottom with bumblefoot, but I did a search on here and found some cases where the scab was on top. I still would be tempted to treat only for leg mites first to see if the swelling and foot clear up. Don't know what others on here would do. Are you able to post pictures?

6. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    These are the best i could get with my camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry,i no they are not that good...

7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    I can try to get better ones tomorrow...

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I know how hard it is to get good pictures of chickens - sometimes they just don't want to cooperate with the camera [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:
    yea she wasnt to happy.it was her bed time,so ill try again tomorrow.i feel so bad for her.she wont put any weight on her foot so i no she is in pain,but other then that shes eating,drinking,pooing and is very alert.Im pretty sure the mites are gone after 2 15 min.soaks and vasoline,but do you no how long it takes for the eggs to hatch? I thought i read 10 days but i cant remember.

10. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I don't know about the eggs - sorry. I tried searching for the answer but couldn't find anything that mentioned scaly leg mite eggs. Are you thinking perhaps of regular red mites (different from scaly leg mites), that you have to treat 10 days after the initial treatment because of eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by