Leg mites- nooooooooo!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jun 25, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Every summer like clockwork I have to clean out my coop to get rid of mites. So- I cleaned out the coop a couple of weeks ago and sprayed the entire thing down with a natural flea and tick spray(it makes the coop smell like peppermint-but I don't think the chickens give a whoop about that). Never noticed any mites. Yesterday I was spending time with my birdies and noticed my rooster has some raised scales on his legs. So I checked everyone and just about all of my older birds look to be in the beginning stages. No biggie- I'll treat them with some vegetable oil. I also have 10 week old cochins sharing the roost with my older flock. Their legs look normal, but I'd like to go ahead and treat them just in case. I really don't want to slather their heavily feathered legs with vegetable oil or vasaline. I can just imagine that mess. So can someone recommend a no mess treatment for heaily feathered legs? I obviously don't have to worry about throwing out eggs, but I would really like to treat without pesticides, but I'll do what I gotta do. Thanks in advance!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you want to try something natural without having to toss eggs, use Nu-Stock.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Will the Nu-stock stain or muck up the cochins leg feathers? All of my layers will just get the oil treatment since they are clean legged. I just don't want a bunch of icky feathered feet walking all over me since they are very much lap chickens (and their leg feathering is heavy and gorgeous).

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If you are merely using it as a preventative at this stage, you might place the Nu-Stock on the roosts themselves. It smells like pine sol cleaner and it has both an oily and chalky consistency....but that doesn't last. It is the most effective treatment I have found yet in the all-natural department. If you do have to apply it to the feathered legs, keep in mind that it is only temporary, won't stain, can be easily washed off later....the carrier oil is mineral oil.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I may have to get some- if I treat the affected birds and the roost is it even necessary for me to treat the younger birds? Obviously I don't want a re-infestation, but I've got somewhere around 40 birds to deal with and I'll definately be cleaning out the entire coop again for my own peace of mind.

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    The poultry expert from UCONN to us to do this (outdoors) for Scaly Leg Mites:

1. Dip legs in gasoline for 45 seconds
    2. Let legs air dry
    3. Slather legs in Vasoline
    4. Repeat procedure 2 days later
    5. In between treatments, you can slather legs with A&D Ointment once or twice a day

7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I used the Adams flea and tick dip on mine. Just followed the directions on the bottle for a dip and dunked all my birds at night while they were roosting, then placed them back on the roost. A bit wet and messy, but it worked like a charm. I followed up about 10 days later to make sure and no problems since then...this was last year in May. No oils, no vaseline and no throwing eggs away.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Dobie, did they also inform you about just how many harmful chemicals there are in gasoline? Or that gasoline can give you a chemical burn if placed on your skin and not washed off promptly? Now, on healthy scales, this probably wouldn't be a concern...I don't know for sure...but on scales compromised by mites? Talk about painful!! [​IMG]

I think the OP is wanting to stick with treatments that are less harmful when absorbed topically~ unless she can't avoid it. I know I wouldn't eat an egg from a hen that had been dipped in gasoline...who knows how long it would take to work those chemicals out of her bloodstream or how much of the metals would remain in her tissues?

No disrespect meant here but I wouldn't take the advice of UCONN any longer when it comes to animals that produce your food. [​IMG]

9. surroundedbychicks

surroundedbychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Woburn, MA
    As a preventative...sprinkle diotomaceous [sp] earth all around the outside and inside of the coop. I did this to attack an infestation of ants and it seemed to work. The packaging says it will take care of all kinds of creepy, crawly stuff. If you get "food grade" quality, you can feed it too your chickens and is good for intestinal parasites.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've read that alot of people use gasoline to treat leg mites, but I try not to use anything on my chickens I wouldn't use on myself. We don't do antibiotics and such unless absolutely necessary (which has been never). My children spend alot of time with the chooks, and it would break their hearts if they couldn't hold them and such. I really appreciate all of everyones suggestions and I'll be formualting a plan of attack over the next couple of days. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by