1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg mites? Pics are left huge for detail. Update on this guy!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ksane, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    This is the wild chicken that migrated from the neighbor's flock when they moved. He stays far enough away that I can't ever catch him, until today. I've got him penned up in the quarrantine pen so I can get him wormed, etc to find someone to take him. I don't want to keep him here because I can't get ahold of him on a regular basis to deworm and check for problems and I don't want him "draggin' some disease" into the yard around my chickens.
    Anyway....is this scaly leg mites? This guy has always been wild and is about 6 yrs old, he's probably had a rough life so maybe it's just how the legs of an older rooster look. I just know it doesn't look like my chicken's legs. If I need to treat him I want to make sure what I'm treating.
    Thanks for anyone who can help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Doesn't look like mites. Just like the guy has lived a rough life for 6 years. Were you able to look through his body feathers to see if he has other types of mites?

With leg mites, the scales look like they are coming "up" because the mites get underneath them and sometimes the feet are swollen. His legs look nice and sleek. Just a little rough from his travels.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Ah, I see. They're probably look even better if they were washed also. I feel better about it then. Once I got ahold of him I got to look him all over head to toe. I checked through every feather on his body and saw no lice, mites or eggs stuck anywhere. I dusted him just in case and wormed him with fenbendazole. I'll Ivomec him in a day or 2. Didn't want to throw the poor guy into shock [​IMG]
    Thanks!

4. ReikiStar

Phew! Good to hear he doesn't have any mites. He's a strong little dude...good constitution. Thanks for taking good care of him. I hope you'll find him a good home soon. [​IMG]

5. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    He's been around so long that I'm having 2nd thoughts about getting rid of him now lol! He's gorgeous, some sort of a game rooster with speckles and red and blue and green. Maybe I'll just fix him up, build him a pen and give him a couple ladies :) I always said I'd get rid of him if I could catch him but I never really thought I'd ever get ahold of him.

6. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

He charmed you when you caught him. [​IMG] I'd give a smear of Bag Balm on his legs just to help condition them since they're a little rough. Before you give him some ladies, trim those spurs, or you may have some really unhappy ladies! [​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would also say no to the scaly leg mites. [​IMG]

8. Ksane

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yippee! Thanks guys! (Gals!) Uniontown, I was just looking up on another thread about use a dremel tool or grinder to trim spurs with, so yes, I'll do that. And Bag Balm's a great idea, he'll get a pedicure and the whole treatment [​IMG]
    For never being handled in his life he actually did great. Didn't give me any problems at all.

9. ReikiStar

Yay! Hope you do keep him. I second trimming those spurs and a little Bag Balm wouldn't hurt.

Post a picture, please! Good lookin' roosters are meant to be seen and appreciated. [​IMG]

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I agree about the Bagbalm. It's so amazing and he'll feel so wonderful [​IMG]
    I periodically do my roos legs and toes with it and he lays in my arms so calmly while I do it - I think he knows it feels good afterward [​IMG]
    Thank you so much for helping him!

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by