1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    How do you tell if your chicken has leg mites i got and chicken and his scales seem to look like there coming off he looks real healthy and doesn't show any sign of his legs hurting him but is there a way actually see a mite in there leg so I know for sure when I get home I'll post pictures of all my chickens legs so someone can let me know if there effected but I just wanna know for sure if they have it before I treat it I know they said Vaseline works

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You can do a Google search on " Scaley leg mite pictures in chickens" it will bring up good photos you can see the condition this way. They also have sprays for scale leg mites at the feed store you might consider using. I do hope this is helpful. You can compare the Google pictures with your bird and this should answer your question. Best of luck.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    How much is the spray ?? And can they go chicken to chicken

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I got a spray at the feed store made by manna pro for about 6 dollars. It wasn't bad. It's specifically labeled for Scaley leg mites. And yes they can go from bird to bird in a flock and I've always read if one has it treat them all for it because yes the mites will spread to other birds

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vaseline is about the cheapest thing you can use, if you buy a large jar of generic. It will suffocate the mites if you rub it in good, and rapply it once a week. Yes it will spread through your flock, so you need to clean out your coop, and spray or dust the coop. Permethrin and sevin dust 5% work very well.

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by