leg mites????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickMagnet098, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ChickMagnet098

ChickMagnet098 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    i just got a new white yokohama rooster. i was told when i got him that his legs were bad because he is old (he is about 4 years old). well, not thinking i tossed him right in with my hens. then i realized that he might have leg mites. so i took him out right away. he was in for just one night but i think my hens still might have gotten them. what do you guys think? i have been treating my rooster every to every other day and he is healing.
    [​IMG][​IMG]< the rooster

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    ^ the hens

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    No need to tell you the person who told you the rooster's legs and feet were that way due to age is a lying sack. You are attentive. That may take awhile to clear up, but it will with regular treatment. When they are really bad like that, a good penetrating oil like jojoba or castor will get under those scales. Nustock is a good treatment too. You can rub a little oil on the hens' legs and feet when they go in to roost for the night. Massage it into the scales while wearing some nitrile gloves once a week or so. The rooster will require every other day, or every 2-3 times a week.

Emulsified concentrates like Ravap EC, Atroban EC, or Elector PSP make very effective roost and prmise treatments. Spray or paint all sides of roosts as often as recommended by label instructions.

3. ChickMagnet098

Apr 22, 2014
    so do you think the hens have mites?

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes, just not at as bad as your rooster. Here's a bit about scaly leg mites, and don't let anyone lead you to believe Ivermectin has any affect on them whatsoever:
    Cnemidocoptes mutans = Knemidocoptes mutans = Neocnemidocoptes mutans

The scaly leg mite is another small (~0.5 mm) mite that infests chicken, turkey and other domestic and wild birds worldwide. It does not suck blood but burrows into the skin tissues under the leg scales, causing inflammation and exudation. It is more common in old birds whose legs become thickened, crusty and deformed. The life cycle can be completed in 10 to 14 days and occurs entirely on the host. It is quite contagious and the birds often get the mites from the ground. It is uncommon in industrial operations but can be a problem in traditional and backyard chicken. Diagnosis is done based on the typical leg deformations and after identification of mites of skin scrapings of the legs.

You can read more here: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    All of them appear to have leg mites, the rooster's is especially bad.

6. ChickMagnet098

Apr 22, 2014
    the way i have been treating the rooster is soaking the feet on warm soapy water for about 2-3 min then dipping in mineral oil and then covering the feet in utter balm. will this work for the hens too? i can't spend tons on oil and mineral oil is the cheapest i can get . i have 9 hens. the outside run door is frozen shut so i am not able to get in and clean it. is that ok? or will the mites live in that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by