Leg nodes on chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BRROCKTERRY, Aug 7, 2009.

1. BRROCKTERRY

BRROCKTERRY Hatching

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm new to this forum and I'm really impressed with the knowlege and info on it!! My question is, do all young chickens have bumps on there legs where the spurs grow. I realize that as they mature the rooster get spurs, but all my 6-8 week Barred Rock chickens have little nodes on there legs. Some have larger ones than others. Surely I don't have 6 roosters. Just checking with the experts!! Thanks for any help you can give!

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I think you would get a quicker answer if you post in the forum for breed and gender. In my experience my hens have those nodes, I have never had roosters except the chicks I have now. I am sure that someone with more knowledge of roosters can help you. repost this in the breed and gender forum. Good luck. Welcome to the board.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

All chickens have the spur bumps, and for the most part, roosters have the ones that grow. It is not uncommon though for some girls to get them as they age.

4. BRROCKTERRY

BRROCKTERRY Hatching

Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks for your good help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: