1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Leg Problem with some of my birds in my flock!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by redshoulderfox, Dec 27, 2014.

1. redshoulderfox

redshoulderfox Chirping

Apr 19, 2014
    Every once in a while I would get a bird that was not able to stand, usually because of an injury that happened seconds before. But on one occasion I had a bird that just collapsed. To help these birds I would keep the bird separate from the flock. I would put a towel into a doughnut shape and I would put the bird inside that doughnut to keep its weight off the bird's legs. I would do this until the bird could stand and walk fairly well again and then I would put her out with the rest of the flock. Recently I did this with one bird that got injured and I used this same method. Then a couple days after I had put her with the rest of the flock I found her slouched and there was poop that was on its way out her system but it was stuck and bloody. I brought her up to the house to try and help her but she died.
    Also I have another bird that has a different leg problem. She can walk fairly well but her hocks have moved toward each other causing the legs to go a bit off to the side. She has also been acting more lethargic than normal.
    For these reasons I think there might be a disease in my flock. Does anybody have any idea about what is going on and what I can do to fix it?

2. Rashid100

Rashid100 Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Hopefully not inbreeding. U could possibly treat the bird for splay leg. Maybe that procedure might help

3. redshoulderfox

redshoulderfox Chirping

Apr 19, 2014
    I have rewritten this post in a new thread titled,"Confusing health issues with my quail - revised HELP." I did this to make what I'm saying more clear. So check out the the thread I stated instead of this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by