Leg Problem!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccclemm, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ccclemm

ccclemm New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Maryland
    My 19 week old barred rock is having trouble with her left leg. She is eating and drinking normally but limping, laying down any chance she gets, and her tail is always facing down. When she walks, it's almost like she slaps her foot down. Also, the thumb( the short toe in the back- not sure if that's what it's called) faces forward when she is holding herself up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ccclemm

ccclemm New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Maryland
    I submitted before finishing! Any ideas of what might be wrong or suggestions anyone has for helping her would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!!

3. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I had the same thing with my BA hen. I could not find any injury so I assumed she sprained it jumping off the roost. It took about 2 months for her to stop limping. She is all back to normal now.
    If you have felt for injury and looked at the bottom of her foot for bumble foot and you don't see anything. Then I would just give it time to heal. You can give her baby aspirin if you think she is in too much pain. I did not. I didn't want the aspirin to mask the pain and her injure herself more. The pain made her take it easy.

4. ccclemm

ccclemm New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Maryland
    Thank you for your response! Did her leg get worse before it got better? I'm also wondering if I should separate her to allow her from the others to allow her to rest more?

5. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    No it Didn't get worse. I started seeing some slow improvement after a few weeks. I didn't separate her cause I didn't want to have to put her through reintegration. I would have if she was getting picked on or if she was getting worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by