1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leg problem

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by maytham, Aug 24, 2014.

1. maytham

maytham Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    its a new thing everyday with this turkey, today i wanted them to free roam in the garden, and i noticed that as i was trying to get him out of his little run, he couldn't walk properly. he would steadily walk on his toes, lose balance, drooping wings and tail and didnt want to move, he even didnt mind that much when i touch him/carry him, not the usual. i got him a week
    ago, and since then he walked fine/stood fine. i took some pictures hopefully would help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

please help, this turkey is killing me, always makes me think he's gonna die :(

2. maytham

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    UPDATE:He's really sick. ...I have no idea what's wrong... Very droopy wings and tail... Now could barely even walk, when he wants to walk he walks on his like knee or whatever and uses his wings to steady himself... Looks like he's gonna die very very soon. :(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Turkelie

Turkelie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Canada
    Im really sorry but It does look like he'll die very soon, I had a bbw hen who had the same symptoms and she eventually didn't stand on her own. She always ate and drank normally though. I had to mercy kill her. She didn't have long anyways. She wasn't broody, she was too young.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. maytham

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    ya i took him back to the shop that sold me him and said it was due to the heat, he said he'll kill him for me, or do whatever with him.
    but i did get chicken instead cuz they're tougher in this heat... thanks though!!

5. Turkelie

Turkelie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Canada
    Good to know cause of death. Congrats on chickens though!

6. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Sorry to hear that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Turkenstein25

7. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Turkeys are native to areas that are very hot.
    I think he is just saying its the heat to cover his *** so you can't say he sold you a sick bird.

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Turkeys are not native to areas that are hot...don't know where you got that information. This map shows the distribution of wild (not domestic) Meleagris gallopavo. I don't know about you, but I don't consider the Northeast and Midwest hot... especially if you live there and know what winters are like.

I do agree that you were sold a sick bird, Maytham. That turkey clearly looked unwell in the pictures. Moves can cause stress, but the turkey as likely already doing poorly before it left, and that pushed him over the edge.

9. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    To me Mexico and the southern US is hot.

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

Yeah, I'd not want to be a BBW in Dubai but, in Maytham's second shot there is a turkey standing behind the afflicted fella - wonder how it's doing? I would also guess that some other stress was weighing on the poor guy. However, even in the U.S, heat has taken out good portions of outdoor flocks of commercials (out behind of Palmdale, CA, in the 1960's, for instance).
    Even the Gould's stick to the mountains: http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/history_gould_wild_turkey.html The Ocellata's range is further South, but it lives in the jungle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by