Leg problems in month old chick!!! Anyone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bflfcoop, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bflfcoop

bflfcoop Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    So I have a welsummer chick, poor little girl one day was flying onto the little perch, running around having a good time, and the next day she was laying down. I removed her from everyone else and she is in with a chick much younger than her so she isn't alone. So her legs are not broken, it is both of her legs that are affected. She eats and drinks fine, but her legs are like 'gumby' legs. She can stand on them when she really tries, but she is wobbly and usually props down after fighting the wobbles. Sometime one leg will be straight out in front of her and the other behind her or under her because she doesn't have control of them. She will fly hop to get to the food or water. Then she goes back to a corner where she uses the walls to prop herself up. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, she just has no control of her legs. Does anyone know what this could be??? And how to help it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get some chick vitamins to add to the water, or some Poultry Cell (not NutriDrench since it lacks riboflavin) and give 1 or 2 ml daily. Vitamin or mineral deficiency could be a problem, but she may have injured herself. There also can be leg bone deformities that can get worse with growing. It might help to get a picture of her standing still normally just in case it might be something that we have seen.

3. bflfcoop

bflfcoop Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    I will try to upload again.....I have bad reception our here in the middle of farm country.....the day her legs decided not to work, I started adding vitamins and electrolytes to her water. It's 1/10 of a teaspoon per gallon, per the intrictions, and it has a lot of British vitamins and riboflavin in it, amongst other good stuff. But I will try to send the picture in a few..I can't get any of her without me holding her, as you won't see anything...her legs are either under her or sometimes out to the side in front or behind her. I try to help position her in a 'normal' position so send doesn't hurt her legs. The pic I'll send is me holding her from above and you can see her legs just hang...they just dangle there. She can move her legs, she will kick her legs if I hold her where she feels like she's going to fall...she can move them and her toes, but as soon as I put her back on her own legs, she tries to stand, but her head will go dowm, and her tail up, then tail down and head up, as if she were the see-saw. Poor baby.....pics soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by