Mamahen234

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2019
Hello all!
I recently (about a week ago) found My australorp (6 month hen) flopping around in the coop. I noticed that she was kind of limping around. Shes eating fine, drinking lots of water and seems in good spirits, not in pain. Shes just having a really hard time keeping up with the rest of the girls.
her leg jets out in front of her when she walks and seems like she can't put a lot of weight on it.
I've seen posts about splayed leg or a tendon in the hock, but it seems like whatever is wayward with her is higher up like under her wings into her femur? It feels SLIGHTLY protruded, but very slightly. Maybe just vety slightly inflamed?
Shes currently in a sling, but my questions are:
1) Does anyone have any experience with this?
2)how long should I keep her in a sling for this if at all? Should she get breaks out of it?
3) would a better remedy be to try to wrap it up against her body?
4) is it something I should take her to a vet for?
She seems happier laying on the ground in a corner with the rest of the girls, periodically limping over to food and water than being in the sling, shes not happy in the sling at all and keeps trying to flap out of it. , but I also dont want to just leave her in a corner sitting in her poo.

Any help is very appreciated!!!

What position are her legs when she is sitting or squatting on the ground? If one leg is stretched out in front and one behind her, like a dancer doing the splits, it could be a symptom of Marek's.

It can also be a symptom of neurotoxin poisoning. Try to think if she's been picking up grit and scratching around near machinery leaking fluids onto the ground. Moldy compost. Insecticide in puddles around a potted plant that was sprayed for bugs. Moldy feed.

There is not much you can do for lameness and paralysis, but you can try giving her vitamin E 400iu in boiled egg, and a B-complex tablet each day for a couple weeks and see if there's any improvement.

Some photos might help to give us a few more clues.

)how long should I keep her in a sling for this if at all? Should she get breaks out of it?

She seems happier laying on the ground in a corner with the rest of the girls, periodically limping over to food and water than being in the sling, shes not happy in the sling at all and keeps trying to flap out of it. , but I also dont want to just leave her in a corner sitting in her poo.
Flapping out of the sling, she can injure herself. If she's really unhappy, it may be better to leave her with the others and just address any poopy bottom issues that arise. Sounds like she's still able to move around to get food/water so she may not soil herself too badly.
Chickens do need to be taken out of the sling, they can't just be left in them - if you decide to keep her in the sling, she needs to be monitored (so she's not flapping out). Give her a break every couple of hours.
If you have vet care, that is best - an xray may reveal injury, but sometimes chickens with similar symptoms can have Marek's disease as suggested.
I agree with giving B vitamins to see if that makes a difference.

What position are her legs when she is sitting or squatting on the ground? If one leg is stretched out in front and one behind her, like a dancer doing the splits, it could be a symptom of Marek's.

It can also be a symptom of neurotoxin poisoning. Try to think if she's been picking up grit and scratching around near machinery leaking fluids onto the ground. Moldy compost. Insecticide in puddles around a potted plant that was sprayed for bugs. Moldy feed.

There is not much you can do for lameness and paralysis, but you can try giving her vitamin E 400iu in boiled egg, and a B-complex tablet each day for a couple weeks and see if there's any improvement.

Some photos might help to give us a few more clues.

Attachments

• 20191113_101241.jpg
    20191113_101241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20191113_101313.jpg
    20191113_101313.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
More info:
Her leg isnt stiff or completely limp. She has some movement in it, but ultimately it slides forward. She can tuck it under her though.
Also, we felt around the very top of her leg and the good side has a clear tendon and and resistance, but the bad side doesn't seem to have a tendon and has very little resistance around her thigh area.

Back
Top Bottom