Leg problems

Waddles22

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
I have a 4week old duckling with leg problems. Lucky was born with the yolk sac still attached, it fell off on its own and seemed to be doing fine. He was good for about 2 weeks, then I noticed he was wobbling a little when he walked. He looked like he was walking on his knees(not sure what you call them) and his legs were bowed. I did some research and realized he wasn’t getting enough niacin so I increased it. Seemed to get a little better but it looks like his hips might be sticking out a little bit.
I was wondering if it might be from hatching too soon and can’t be fixed or if maybe I should try taping his legs. Any input would be appreciated.
Will upload a picture when I can get a good one

Try increasing the nician for a few weeks, and then see what. happens. If he was born the the yolk not attached, he may be not getting enough vitamins and energy he needs. If you tape his legs, would he not be able to sit?? Try feeding him egg yolk with a little bit of crushed up shell. This might help. good luck! 👍

btw is he smaller than the other ducks??

What most people think of the ducks knees, is the hock joint and actually more of the heel and ankle of the duck. If it is eating on its hock joint, I would look to see if it has a slipped tendon. You can feel to both sides of the hock joint, and if it is a slipped tendon, you will feel it on the side there. Usually the joint is also swollen.

This site explains how to treat a slipped tendon. It shows chickens, but it is the same for ducks. It can not always be fixed depending on how long it has been going on.
http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

Try increasing the nician for a few weeks, and then see what. happens. If he was born the the yolk not attached, he may be not getting enough vitamins and energy he needs. If you tape his legs, would he not be able to sit?? Try feeding him egg yolk with a little bit of crushed up shell. This might help. good luck! 👍

btw is he smaller than the other ducks??
He’s growing great, no problem eating. I was wondering more about wrapping his legs up higher when I take him for a walk(to stabilize). He also seems to have plenty of energy so other than his legs he seems to be doing great

Here’s a video and pics of Lucky. I have been limiting his walking and have him swimming several times a day. I also switched his food to one with more niacin and added a supplement to his water. It just seems like the bigger he gets the worse it is…sorry couldn’t get the video to upload, will try again later

Attachments

• F3B02583-36C4-4BF2-B7CF-546E3F93818D.jpeg
    F3B02583-36C4-4BF2-B7CF-546E3F93818D.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 98F63E8B-D52D-4D23-984C-DE77B23F785B.jpeg
    98F63E8B-D52D-4D23-984C-DE77B23F785B.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 5
Here’s a video and pics of Lucky. I have been limiting his walking and have him swimming several times a day. I also switched his food to one with more niacin and added a supplement to his water. It just seems like the bigger he gets the worse it is…sorry couldn’t get the video to upload, will try again later
You should really feel for a slipped tendon. It will continue to get worse as he grows and become irreversible. The tendon no longer will be secured behind the hock joint. As the leg grows, the tendon and leg muscles are not stretched, so they stay the same length as the leg grows. The joint is swollen just like a slipped tendon a looks just like what I would expect from one.

You'll have to put your video on youtube or another similar platform then copy and paste it here.
Your diluting the niacin if your putting it in his water so he may not be getting enough. Also some ducklings just don't seem to be able to utilize the niacin in feed as well as others. That is why putting something like Nutritional yeast over their feed helps unless they already have a problem like Lucky then we pull out the big guns like Liquid B complex. It has helped so many ducklings recover. If a niacin deficiency. Did you check if the tendons were in place? maybe feel the leg of another duckling so you get the feel of what normal is. That is def swelling which is typical of a slipped tendon.

What Liquid B complex would you suggest? I was using the vitamin powder that is supposed to be added to water. Thanks for the suggestions, when I get a chance I’m going to check my other duckling’s leg because I wasn’t sure exactly what I was feeling for

What Liquid B complex would you suggest? I was using the vitamin powder that is supposed to be added to water. Thanks for the suggestions, when I get a chance I’m going to check my other duckling’s leg because I wasn’t sure exactly what I was feeling for
When you feel for it, it will be fairly obvious. The joint on the side is very smooth. You will be able to feel like a string like structure under the skin and you will be able to move it under the skin.

Back
Top Bottom