Leg Problems?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, Aug 12, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Hey everyone. Last Wednesday i received my two new ducklings from Metzer, Nuggets the Jumbo Pekin and Scarlet the Welsh Harlequin. They are 5 days old. Now I think one of them has leg problems. Now I know what your thinking your probably saying "oh he is talking about his Jumbo Pekin" well that is wrong. My Jumbo Pekin Is fine. She runs around and rarely lies down unless she is tired. Now my Welsh Harlequin lies down constantly. Whenever I have them out to run around I put them a few feet away from me so they can run over to me. They both run over to me fine but as soon as they reach me, the jumbo pekin hops onto my lap but Scarlet just lies down. We have niacin in the water. Does this sound like a leg problem?

***EDIT*** We also have vitamins and electrolytes in the water and they are on Flock Raiser - 20% protein. She's eating and drinking fine and is fine in an inch of water in the sink...she's even trying to torpedo around the sink.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Should I just assume she will get stronger as she gets older? I had the same problem with my Rouen, but she was older and the Niacin helped very quickly.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's important and good that you're watching closely, duckking. [​IMG]

I wonder if Scarlet may just be content to sit near you and not so much in the lap. I have nine runners. When they were babies, I'd sit in the brooder (yes, big brooder) after cleaning up, just to socialize (and watch them in amazement).

Anyway, about half of them would sit near, not touching me. A few would sit right up against my legs, and a couple would crawl up on top of my legs. One, sometimes two would let me pet them. (This was before that awful season when they became afraid of anything taller than themselves, which, I am happy to say, eventually passed).

Niacin deficiency affects the nervous system. In addition to mobility problems, there might be seizures, lack of coordination, balance problems. Have you noticed any of that? I'm going to guess little Scarlet's just a "next to" buddy.

4. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks so much for replying Amiga! [​IMG] I know the forum is inundated with leg issues. I think I read thru all of them! But none addressed this particular issue.

She's not showing any signs of any other neurological problems, just seems a little weak in the legs. She's very similar to my Rouen when she was about 6 weeks old. The same behaviour. While all her other friends were running around (Mallards), she would keep sitting down. I gave her Niacin and within a few days she stopped doing that.

My concern here is that Scarlet IS getting Niacin and has been from since we received her last Wednesday, but she is doing the same thing. Even when I am not sitting, she will follow for a bit and then plunk down again while my Jumbo Pekin keeps on going. I've checked her legs and there is no sign of swelling, they don't seem to hurt her.

At this point I put the food bowl away from the waterer so she has to walk back and forth a few inches, and we're letting them out to run around as often as possible in addition to getting to swim for a few minutes once a day. She's great in the tub. Starts trying to torpedo around with her back legs kicking like crazy, but the water isn't deep enough yet.....

I guess I'll wait and see if she outgrows this. [​IMG] She's only 6 days old and maybe she's growing a bit faster than her legs can keep up with?

Again thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My ducks and ducklings spend a lot of their time laying down. I think that is normal for ducks.

My Pekins are the friendliest of all and the most inclined to climb on me. Other than that, it is normal for a duck to not want to be held.

If she is up and moving well when she moves, then she is most likely perfectly fine. Ducks do not have strong legs, but hers will get stronger as she gets exercise.

You know after two weeks to reduce protein to 16-18%, right?

6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks Oregon! We hatched some Rouen/Mallard x's to sell as ducklings about a month ago and I still don't remember them being so klutzy and lazy! Both my older and younger sons commented on how we sure received lazy ducklings this time. I'm just letting them out to run around until they stop running around and then they go back in the brooder.

Guess I'll just keep watching them....it's hard not to anyway [​IMG]

Yes I will be reducing the protein....just get them on non-medicated starter.

Thanks so much for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    One more thing. My ducks with what I consider the best temperaments lay around more. They aren't the least bit worried about me, so don't get up and move when I walk around them. The higher strung ducks jump up and move.

Some of that laying around is simply calm laid-back temperament.

All I can recommend is keep a close out out for any limping.

8. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks again, Oregon. They seem totally calm. Don't run away when you step towards them, in fact they follow me. Just keeping my eyes on them [​IMG] Other than the legs, they seem totally fine and happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by