Leg rings,,flatband or spiral?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by livininbrazil, Jan 6, 2014.

1. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Which is best for geese and why, please? I don´t think they´ll be easy to get here, although they must exist somewhere, so I´ll have to order them in, but I need to know what´s best to get. Opinions? It´s just so I can tell which goslings are from which parents. It´s easy to know now, but won´t be in a month´s time! Thanks.

2. Domd28

Domd28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Cabot, AR
    I use the plastic spiral rings, they allows for growth and are reusable and no special tool to apply them. Our local feed store has them.

3. livininbrazil

OK thank you. I can see the flatband ones just clip together, but is it easy to put the spirals on? I imagine the spirals would be good, too, because if they should get caught up on something, the goose would be able to free itself. I´ll have to import them, though. Our local feed store probably doesn´t even know what they look like. Thanks for the input.

4. Domd28

Domd28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Cabot, AR
    They were very easy to put on. None of our girls have got them caught on anything. Althouh they did peck at them when we put them on. Good luck locating them locally.

5. livininbrazil

I asked around today, and it seems there´s someone who can make them for me, but it´d just be the flat type. It doesn´t look like I can get the spirals here. They´re easily available in England, though, so I´ll have a chat to my next visitor who´s coming from there soon! [​IMG]

6. SolarPoweredMe

SolarPoweredMe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Gulf Coast MS
    The spiral ones are available on Ebay for relatively cheap. They are sized though... Does anyone know what size is used for the average gosling?

7. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Consider zip/cable ties. They come in a rainbow of colors and sizes. Cheap and durable too. Like any other band you'll need to replace as the gosling grows. Just make sure that the exposed tie "tail" is trimmed short so that the bird can't grab it and pull tighter.

DT

8. livininbrazil

Yes, I already thought about those, but I´m frightened about the tightening bit. I´m planning to put them on the almost-grown goslings, as at the moment I know which ones belong to which parents, but after a few months they´re going to be mingling more and it´ll be far more difficult. My geese are free-range, so I need to be able to trust that the ring isn´t going to cause problems. Thanks for the idea, though.

9. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Lb I use cable ties and have never had a problem with them! You just make sure they have a bit of room growth and when they start getting a bit tight I change them until they are grown then I put a cable tie on the leg and they are very durable and long lasting.....
    You just cut the tie real close to the closure and they do fine. They do not get any tighter. I have used them for years now!

10. livininbrazil

OK, Dr Todd and Ruru, sounds good then. I already have white cable-ties in the house, so now at least I can mark the 4 goslings to show the difference, as they stay in one flock, and they´re almost alike now as they´ve got older. At the moment I can still tell who´s who by the feather development, so I´ll be putting on the ties this afternoon. Thanks for your advice and experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by