Leg scales are RISING?

Thanks for the advice! I’ll do that.
Be Really gentle with the toothbrush if you are using this method - you could make her legs raw VERY easily.
You can also treat scaly leg mites with vaseline or basically any oil. Coat the legs daily - it smothers the mites. It looks like the mites have not been there long. It's a gentler approach perhaps.

The scaly leg mites I’ve dealt with have looked far more pronounced and went up the entire leg... most of the leg scales on your bird look ok. It can’t hurt to treat for the scaly leg mites with the oil as suggested, Though I’ve never heard of using cayenne pepper in it before. It could be the beginning of a scaly leg mite problem, and better to nip that in the bud!

I use diatomaceous earth it treats all kinds of things like that.
Heres the link:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450G-TUB...=item3af3f8a0b0:g:vDYAAOSwTY9ZX6El:rk:13:pf:0
Just be careful with it and DON'T get it in your eyes or lungs.
DE is good for many mites and lice, but doesn’t work well on scaly leg mites because they burrow under the scales of the legs and feet feed. The mites excrement raises the scales on the legs. Gently rubbing oil into the legs and up under the scales kills the little buggers though. The scales don’t always return to normal, but the chickens are definitely happier once they’ve had a few treatments.

The chickens I’m treating have not been handled much, but they are becoming more accustomed to it, some even seem to like the treatments now. I’m using plain Vaseline mixed with mineral oil to help it flow under the scales, but so it’s more of a solid to apply at first. Seems to be working well. Coconut oil would be a good base as well if you want to avoid the petroleum products, but I used what I had on hand

Any type of oil or thick-ish cream should effectively treat Scaly Leg Mites. What these do is smother the mites that live under the scales.

Coconut oil, castor oil, cooking oil, A+D ointment, Nu Stock Cream, Vaseline - any of these will do the job.

Washing the legs is just basically to clean them up, the brushing with a toothbrush it to help loosen debris from under the scales (what looks like dirt under the scales is actually mite poop;)) Then the application of oil/cream of choice. Re-apply at least once a week for a few weeks until the scales are healed.

As for what's up with the OP's chicken's leg? Could be the beginning of SLM, hard to tell, but there is nothing that says you can't apply oil/ointment/cream to a chicken's anytime you feel like it. It won't hurt her and it may be soothing especially during winter time.

5A55909F-1094-42FF-81ED-BB6CEF8716E0.jpeg

It might be scaly leg mites, there's nothing else I could think of. Fresh Eggs Daily has a good tip of soaking their feet in warm water, then scrubbing them with an old toothbrush dipped in white vinegar garlic juice mixture. When they're dry rub some olive oil mixed with cayenne pepper and a few drops tea tree for a few days. I've never had to use it, but anything natural works for me! Let me know how she's doing! :)

Back
Top Bottom