leg sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickens asome, May 31, 2009.

1. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    what is leg sexing? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Well...I dont know for sure but on my 4 week olds the roos to be have spur buds and the pullets do not.

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Might be that the roos have thicker legs....[​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    4-week-old chicks could all have spur bumps. That is NOT a reliable way to sex chicks. I have a couple of pullets who will be a year old next month who both have 3/4" spurs on them, and I've witnessed them both laying eggs. Males won't develop spurs until 6 months old, or older.

Leg sexing is probably judging a chicken's gender by the thickness and length of legs. It's not always reliable either. I had a pullet last summer who had HUGE legs, and I was sure it was a cockerel. She's one of my prettiest girls now, and she's much bigger than the others.

5. Kelpie

Kelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    Leg sexing is a rule of thumb you use on very young chicks...turn the chick over on its back on your palm.....if it kicks it might be a boy, if it pulls up its legs it might be a girl. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Giddy up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by