Leg tremors in jumbo Peking ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nisa, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Nisa

Nisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Hi Everyone:

I had my 5 ducklings out in the grass today and noticed one of the larger guys had severe leg tremors while preening or leaning forward to drink. Otherwise, s/he is active, eating up a storm, hunting bugs, and playing with nest mates. I've been supplementing their feed with brewer's yeast and oyster shell grit. Then I read that the oyster shell should only be used for laying females. So, now I create mud puddles in the grass/dirt thinking they can get their grit that way.They have been eating defrosted peas, tomatoes, summer squash that is pulverized, strawberries, raspberries, grass, clover, nasturtium leaves & blooms, grapes, cherries, apple sauce, peaches, and the occasional bug or earthworm that gets too close.

Everything they get is organic and I do not spray the lawn with any chemicals/fertilizers, so I do not think it is a neurotoxin issue. I am wondering if I am not giving enough brewer's yeast or grit or giving them something I should not.

Any thoughts, ideas are much appreciated.

Nisa

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] add some extra Brewers yeast I do 1 tab per cup of feed. how much are you giving. Pekins grow so fast they need extra help. buy chick grit it's cheap and they will use it as needed just put it in a separate dish from feed. they can also pick up sand and small pebbles outside , but if in doors mostly now they need grit. I also put it out in winter when snow or ice is covering the ground.

3. Nisa

Nisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Thank you, Miss Lydia. I have flaked brewer's yeast and will do a 2:1 ratio of feed to brewer's yeast & get the chicken grit or sand immediately. Thank you so much for your reply.
    Nisa

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You may have to add more BY until you notice significant improvement. if you get sand make sure it's play sand, but honestly for your ducklings I'd get chick grit, they are so bad for over eating stuff I'd be worried about the sand and it being so fine. Please keep us updated on progress.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nisa

Nisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    I am doing a 2:1 ratio now with the BY instead of "sprinkling" it on top of the feed as I had read. I'm looking for chicken grit in area stores today and will use play sand until I can find the grit. BTW, I have them out in the grass & I have seen them swallow dirt & small rocks in the mud puddles I make for them. Thank you very much for your help.
    Best,
    Nisa

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Keep us updated

7. Nisa

Nisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Hello all
    :

I have a wonderful update: the leg tremors are gone!! Even on the bigger one that had it the worst. I watched them in the yard all day yesterday and saw nary a tremor. I will continue with the 2:1 ratio of meal to BY and I thank you again for your help.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Best news I've heard all day.. yep keep it up till at least 10weeks old you may be able to cut it back a bit as you go along but during the fastest growth is when they need it the most.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by