Leg trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fabe Schultz, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Fabe Schultz

Fabe Schultz New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    Hi everyone! I am new here and I am in need of some help and resources. I just added a new girl to my flock and didn't notice when I got her something was wrong with her leg. She was 10 weeks when I got her and she is now 12wks. I am not sure if she broke her leg before I got her or if she has splayed leg. Is there anything I can do to help her? She has lots of trouble getting around and I have to help her eat and drink. Please help!!
    Thanks

2. TalkBahk2Me

TalkBahk2Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    I have had injured birds in the past with broken legs. Confine her to a small cage, kept in a dry shady cool spot. I use a small wire dog cage, so it has plenty of air circulation. I have it nicely bedded with hay so it's comfy for her. Food and water with in reach.
    To speed up the healing process I feed dry cat food. Twice a day. The high protein helps the body mend itself quickly. The birds always healed in a couple weeks able to run and play normally as time went on.
    Hope your sweet bird heals fast

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Does she have bumblefoot?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Fabe Schultz

Fabe Schultz New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    I am not sure what bumble foot is??

5. Fabe Schultz

Fabe Schultz New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    I just researched bumble foot and that is not what it is. Her right leg just sticks straight out to the side. What if her leg was broken a while ago and already healed that way?

6. TalkBahk2Me

TalkBahk2Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Hopefully it has not healed yet. If you only recently have noticed her having trouble getting around, than most likely it is rather new. Which is best.

You'll have to gently pick her up and handle like grandma's fine china ;)
    Keeping her body up right like normal- See if you can move the leg around. Don't be to gentle where you are scared to move it at all. It's ok to move it, see if it will gently move around back into posit in of a normal leg. Just be aware of how your moving it. Don't push the leg forcefully into the bird incase of sharp pieces causing further injury. You can just pull the leg out gently to reposition it back to it's normal setting.
    I'm probably making this sound more scary than it is. If so my apologies you'll do fine. :)
    And If you can't because it's just loosly dangling, you will just have to keep her even more confined from moving much while she heals. Keeping her calm and quiet.
    When setting her in her pen try to position the leg so it will heal correct in a laying position if possible.
    If not you may just let her be for the day and try to reposition her tomorrow.

If the leg already is set, you may get a 2nd opinion on it in person by another poultry person.just to have them evaluate the bird and the leg movements.
    If it's set and the leg mended wrong you'll just have one gimpy flock member. She should get by ok as she heals more so.
    May required lower feeders and waters. But she should be fine. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by