Leg Trouble

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alpaca Guy, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Alpaca Guy

Alpaca Guy New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    This little guy is a couple weeks old and can't stand on its own two legs. I don't know what do for it. I put it in a separate box within[​IMG] the brooder so it doesn't get trampled by the chicks and can eat and drink in peace. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    When you say he can't stand, do you mean his legs are splayed?

Or are they just weak with no visible issues apart from being unable to stand?

Sorry, you will have to be more specific & add a picture of the chick actually standing so we can see what your seeing. [​IMG]

I am sorry about your chick though [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. jammyjammy2112

jammyjammy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    ireland
    ahhhh that's awful i had a chick kindove the same he was born late and had trouble getting out of the egg.about a day later i noticed his leg was bent side ways very awkwardly he could stand he would push along the ground digging up loads of bedding he managed to get around to the food and water with lots of effort he eventually stood up straight at about a week and a half his leg was getting worse i think he was about 5 or 6 months he was sill alive and well but he was a rooster and my other rooster would kill him and when i separated him he got really distressed his leg kept getting worse i had to cull him if it was a hen it wouldn't be too bad i would've kept her then but it was cruel leaving him live like that i think i might have posted a tread about it a few months ago should take a look :/

4. Alpaca Guy

Alpaca Guy New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Thanks for you comments. I've attached another photo with the chick standing on its own. Today I took some wrap to pull the legs in a bit. It sure is sad.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. jammyjammy2112

jammyjammy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    ireland
    ahhhhhh he defintly has spayed leg try fixeing it befor it gets anyworse

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by