1. jools22

jools22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    My leghorn chicken is limping and the bad leg has green spots on it. The other leg has no spots. She pulls her leg up when standing. What would cause the green spots. Could it be gangrene because circulation is cut off.
    Dont know what to do.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Take a good sniff of the leg. Yes, I know it sounds gross, but gangrene STINKS to high heaven. If it stinks of corpse then she's got gangrene. Chickens also bruise in green rather than the color we are used to associating with bruising. If there is no obvious odor then I would think she has some nasty bruising. Any idea how she was injured?

3. jools22

Jan 10, 2009
    not as such but the big black chicken was jumping on her and pecking her. So we took her out and separted her from the rest. Maybe she is just bruised. Hope so. What do i do if it is bruising. Just keep her separated until she is better?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would not separate her if I could help it. Any idea why she was getting picked on? Sometimes chickens are targeted because they are sick in some way. If the black chicken is known for being a brute then I wouldn't worry too much about the whys. I would separate out the bully for a couple days to knock her down a peg or two on the pecking order. But if this is a new behavior then I would be looking at the victim for signs of illness or injury or weakness. Chickens can sense when something is wrong with a flock mate and will sometimes try to drive ailing members away to protect the flock.

Bruising should heal on its own with no intervention.

Good luck with her.

5. jools22

Jan 10, 2009
    so the black chicken,Whoopi needs solitary confinement. The leghorn seems healthy in every other respect. She is still laying and eating fine, so i think that Whoopi is just being a bully. She used to sleep on her own as the others picked on her so i think she is a bit cocky at the moment. Time to sort her out i think. And she is a really big chicken!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by