Legal info on Canada Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Buxton Ducks, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I recently aquired 4 Canada Geese and it is very difficult for me to keep them hidden. The guy never gave me a copy of his form to sell them so I am kinda screwed and it was a craigslist ad so good luck on me finding the guy again. After much research, I finally found this for for "Sale and Disposal" of migratory waterfowl permit form. The first part of it tells you what it takes legally to keep Canada Geese (as well as other migrants). I will have to check if mine have a toe clip or tatoo, they certainly aren't pinioned or banded. I thought this might be helpful to other people in my situation. The link is: http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-9.pdf

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a kid I purchased a pair of wood ducks from a guy who was unlicensed to have them. When I applied for a permit, my birds were seized. Agents were apologetic, but they took the ducks. I don't know whether or not the seller was fined.

3. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Soooo basically, I have no hope of legally keeping them.... What should I do?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not certain, but would tread carefully. My experience took place in the 50's.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you check toes yet? I know Strombergs sells Canada geese so maybe yours will be legal. [​IMG]

6. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Even with clipped toe, you need the 3-186 form.
    Clint

7. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    What a screwed up world we live in where you can shoot Canada Geese for pooping on your golf course but you must go through hell if you try to keep them as pets.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep. [​IMG]

9. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree.

10. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    You can't simply shoot geese for "pooping on your golf course"

If you were to shoot geese just for pooping on the golf course you would be breaking federal laws as well. There are seasons when it is legal to harvest geese, there are restrictions on weapons allowed, restrictions on type of shot used (non-toxic), legal hunting areas, licenses etc.

So, just as keeping migratory waterfowl without proper permits is illegal, walking up and shooting them on golf courses is also illegal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by