1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

legal to buy parrot hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by kdcrws, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    and if it is where do i find some?

2. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I don't see a problem as long as they are bred domestically and not imports or wild collected, you would probably have to get them from a breeder

3. dave3877

dave3877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    ive wanted to buy some parrot eggs for a while now myself. anyone out there reading this thread breed them?

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    You should do some research. Parrot hatchlings are nothing like chickens. They need to be fed immediately and often. They are very susceptible to sour crop if the food temperature is not exactly correct and the right amount. There temps must also be closely regulated they are born without fuzz or feathers. Parent Parrots take turns giving them constant care and feeding. To take them from the parents is a process of feeding every 2 hours. And why would you want to chance the same odds with eggs that in all likelihood will cost hundreds of dollars.

5. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    I know somebody who did this with some type of parrot or exotic bird.

I will ask him or try to get him to join here to reply.

6. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:yeah....sounds like having a newborn, only more difficult. Maybe I can find someone with feathered hatchlings. I'd like a young one so that it bonds well with us.

7. dave3877

dave3877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    im not deterred i enjoy a challenge

8. SweetWater

SweetWater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Bennett CO
    Quote:yeah....sounds like having a newborn, only more difficult. Maybe I can find someone with feathered hatchlings. I'd like a young one so that it bonds well with us.

My dad adopted a parrot when it was 3 years old. My dad named him Roger. They have been bonded ever since. Roger is now 34 years old. I grew up with Roger and credit my love of birds to him. Parrots live for about 75 years or more, so if you can find one thats a few years old, it will still be young and bond with you.
    Look in your area for a breeder, shelter or on CL. Just a thought.[​IMG]

9. PARKBOY

PARKBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    Quote:Heres a few pics of my baby parrot that I have been hand feeding. This is my very first time doing this and It is not half as hard as people make it out to be. Hes now 4 weeks old and I got lucky and hatched out an albino.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Heres a few pics of my baby parrot that I have been hand feeding. This is my very first time doing this and It is not half as hard as people make it out to be. Hes now 4 weeks old and I got lucky and hatched out an albino.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/PARKBOY/dcp_2306.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/PARKBOY/dcp_2305.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/PARKBOY/dcp_2304.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/PARKBOY/dcp_2303.jpg

At what age did you start handfeeding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by