legal to sell buttons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pringle, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    So I want to raise buttons along with my coturnix,and my mom to.I have aquariams to put them in,I also have some cages too so im good with that.Im just wondering if its legal to sell live buttons or coturnix at farmers market or at a fair.Do I have to have a permit?If so how much?I know its legal to sell there eggs but is it the same with fertilized?If I can sell them how much should I price a 6-8 week old?like $5?

2. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Anyone?

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It varies by state, so you'll need to google it, something like "game bird permit" and your state neme.

4. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Your wildlife commission would know. In NC to have any kind of quail you must have a permit.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If i'm not mistaken, I don't think it's even legal for you to own them in MA without a permit. You really need to check with your own state.

6. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok so I looked up the website mass dep of wildlife fish and game all they had were hunting permits!I looked everywere but there was nothin!

7. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    There should be a phone number. I would call the phone number and ask... here it is the department for game birds. It isn't worth risking a ticket IMHO.

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Call them cause every state is different. Florida changed the law so now you can own 50 quail for personal consumption without a permit. Buttons you never needed one.
    now to sell them you do...Buttons still excluded

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by