1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LEGARTHIC, DROOPY, NECK FEATHERS ~ Nursed Back To Health!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tackyrama, Dec 5, 2008.

1. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I have two chickens that are acting very legarthic and with their neck feathers sticking out. Crop is empty. They are buff orpingtons less than 1 yr old. They are free range but have been inside for two days since the cold weather set in. One of the orpingtron hens has the same symptoms to a lesser degree. This is a mixed flock so the orps are to some extent "picked" on.The rest seem to be just fine. Please someone tell me whats wrong??

As suggested by BYC members I hand fed the sick chicken soft boiled egg and gave polyvisol. He is now feeding himself and is looking his old self. My wife wanted to put him out of his misery on Sat. but I wasn't ready to give up. He couldn't hold his head up and was sad to look at. I will still have him isolated for a couple more days but it looks like he made it!

After looking back I think it was a combination of the wrong diet and being picked on. Ahh sweet success! Thank you BYC members!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What are they eating, how is their weight, how long have they been this way, what type of bedding, any changes to environment, changes in droppings?

If they are used to free ranging and now confined, could the be being kept from food and water by others? It could be possible the stress of confinement caused them to become succeptable to cocci too.

3. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    They have been free range untill two days ago when it got too cold to let them out. They eat corn, scratch, chopped apples every day and kitchen scraps whenever plus access to grit. I have been keeping the coop warm with a wood stove. The condition just appeared this morning. The weight is the same, no changes yet. The floor is concrete with some wood chips. Roosts are 2x3 popple. Poo looks normal but runny on the sick one. I'm thinking the orps are being kept from food by the more aggressive ones? Would only 2 days confinement cause all this? I have a large 16x20 coop with just 22 chickens.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    This may not be your whole problem- but the diet is lacking- I see carb, carb, carb, kitchen scraps? and small rocks. This is a french fry & gravel diet.

Your hens should have free access to a layer ration and oyster shell, and restrict the corn/apples/scratch- that should be a treat at most, not the main food source. If your before mentioned diet is correct- they probably have not been getting enough protein, and perhaps minerals and vitamins.

Check for lice/mites.

Quote:

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, first off they all need a proper laying diet so they are less susceptible to getting sick. Laying mash till they get stronger. It only takes about 24 hours of no food for the intestines and crop to be completely empty, so if the bigger ones haven't let these few eat in 2 days, it could very well make them lethargic, especially if water can't be reached. As long as your coop isn't drafty, it doesn't really need to be heated. My birds run through snow so I'd still let them out even if it was 0F outside.

For now, isolate the sick ones and make them eat and drink in a warm place away from the others. Good luck!

6. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    We have had several do this and a few days inside with Polyvisol three times a day with soft cooked egg yolks mixed with layer ration and they should be as good as new.

7. tackyrama

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Thanks all. I'm sure their diet has been good up till two days ago as they were free range. Plenty of everything including green grass (now snowed over). I started providing oyster shell even tho it was not needed. I will take your good advice.
    Update Saturday: Condition this morning is worse. Hardly able to move. I gave some polyvisol and water with eyedropper as a first measure. I fed him some soft boiled egg yoke as suggested. Hope I'm not too late.

Whats the best way to spoon feed a chicken? Anybody?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  8. memahenny

memahenny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western South Carolina
    I have a hen that is about year and half old, not real sure about that. She is on laying pellet diet with scratch feed on the side. She has had a droopy back end for a few weeks, I have done all I know. She walks around like a penquin. Her belly is soft, I oiled her vent way back when she first started this, I am at the end of my rope trying to get her better. She was laying eggs but stopped that when all this happened. I can hold her with no problem, very gentle. I have three hens in the pen with the rooster. One hen doesn't lay anthing, this one did, and the other continues to lay, despite the fact she has lost some feathers. Could these two things loosing feathers and droopy rear be same type problem. I know VERY little about chickens. I was told when I bought them they were about 2 years. I am beginning to wonder about that too. I wormed them about 3 weeks ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by