legbars Australia

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by broomy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. broomy

broomy New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Hi breeders,
    I bred Silver and Gold Legbars in Australia in early 80's 30km North of Brisbane,showed them a few times,but Judges regarded them as xbreeds.
    I was trying to preserve the breed ,I bought some of the remaining stock of a deceased wonderful man named Eddie Pocock-he also breed white Indian Runner ducks,the progeny of which still win all over Australia to this day.
    I'm 80 now but am trying to fid some Legbars here for my niece who is very interested in Poultry breeding.
    I'll keep searching thru' the Eastern States of Australia but I'm afraid we may be too late,as when I had them they were not popular.
    Cream Legbars are unknown to me-they must be a later development in the UK.Some financiers tend to invent their own I suppose.
    Typing is a chore to me but I will hunt one day and see if I still have any pics for interest.
    BTW the birds that where bred here by Pocock were also used for laying trials,and entered in teams of I think 6 birds over many months and a total egg count decided the winning entrants team most times POCOCK of course-which is why I tried to preserve the strain! Regards to all Barrie

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  3. broomy

broomy New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Thank you for kind welcome,but not computer savvy I'm afraid,I tried to post message-it ended up in "where are you" which confused me even more ,so now I'm completely lost!
    I can't post in Australia etc it switches me to whhere are you I don't know what to do-I need a mother duck!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If you click on the link in the above message it should take you directly to the Australia thread. You can then write out a post in the Reply box and submit it - look below where others have posted.

5. Dave at home

Dave at home New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Hi Broomy i am breeding Gold and Silver Legbars feel free to contact me.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Dave & Broomy,

[​IMG]
    Just saw your post Dave & I hope that Broomy will see it. His original post was from 2015 - so nealy 2-years have gone past.

If you are in Australia - there was someone there working on Cream Legbars in Australia - Terry Hill - here's his website: www.creamlegbarsite.com oops, looks like his account is suspended. I think he was in Victoria, maybe it was Perth.

Send me a PM if it would help you and I could try to dig up contact information on him. It's been since 2015 that I was in contact with Terry.

Post some pictures of your birds - and welcome to BackYard Chicken forum! Would love to see them. I'm working on a project to try to establish a lavender-brown Cuckoo legbar.

7. Dave at home

Dave at home New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are my Silver Legbars i will send a photo of my Golds when i take one cheers Dave.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You have done a really wonderful job with your legbars!! I'm looking forward to seeing your golds. Bravo for a job well done, they are beautiful! [​IMG]

9. Dave at home

Dave at home New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Hi Chickat these are my Gold Legbars the rooster and hen are about 5 mounths old and the pullets are younger still.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks for posting your Silver and your Gold Legbars, we rarely see them posted anywhere, and as I have guessed is that proper colored Cream legbars should look very close to the Silver, but some lines in the USA look like gold legbars at least in the color range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by