legbars: what is their sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greengravy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. greengravy

greengravy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Day old legbar chicks, not sure what they are. I thought it was supposed to be easy to tell them apart. [​IMG] One is dark colored with a head spot & the other has a very small head spot but a little bit of markings on the eyes, but no stripe along the body. Neither is as light as I thought the males should be, so I was hoping they aren't both males.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    These are interesting babies. Whoever is breeding them is not tightly controlling their breeding program, and is losing the autosexing feature of the breed.

The lefthand one is absolutely a male. The righthand one has coloration features of both male and female. However, she's dark enough that I'd hazard a bet that it's a girl.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would say it's a pair

pullet
    [​IMG]

cockerel
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree, one of each.

5. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I'm gonna say both male

6. greengravy

greengravy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    wow, I wasn't the only one that thought their coloring was not typical of what I would expect for legbar chicks. Thank you guys for your responses.

Here is a photo of the 7 eggs they came from. They are a beautiful blue/aqua. The other eggs are easter egger eggs that I put there for color comparison. In total, 3 chicks hatched out of the 7 eggs. 2 of the eggs had loose air sacks so I had to throw those away even after trying them for a week. The 3rd chick that was not pictured came out of it's egg after I posted the thread. It looks just like the other darker chick that some of you guys think could be a female.

Thank you for your help!

[​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the eggs are a nice color

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by