Leghorn and Orphington mix

mkathleen419

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
I like egg variety and purchased 15 straight run chicks of different breeds. Good news is I only ended up with 2 roosters. Both are Lavender Orpingtons. I have no female Orpingtons so I will have no true breeds. I do have 2 silver leghorns that have very similar coloring to the roos. Does any have any Lavender Orph x Silver LegHorn Mixes? My Leghorns are the only white egg layers I have so it would be easy to pull those eggs for incubating. :)

Lavender is a recessive gene, so it won’t show up in the first generation. The female chicks will vary from completely black to black with silver leakage around the hackle feathers. The male chicks will vary from completely black to black with silver leakage on the hackle, shoulder, and saddle feathers. However, if the Orpingtons carry gold, then the female chicks have red leakage instead of silver, and the male chicks will be silver/gold split, making them have yellowish silver leakage.

Last edited:
Lavender is a recessive gene, so it won’t show up in the first generation. The female chicks will vary from completely black to black with red leakage around the hackle feathers. The male chicks will vary from completely black to black with red leakage on the hackle, shoulder, and saddle feathers. However, if the Orpingtons carry gold, then the female chicks will still be red, but the male chicks will be silver/gold split, making them have yellowish silver leakage instead of red.

I'm always so amazed at your extensive genetic knowledge! I'm quite jealous really!!

I'm always so amazed at your extensive genetic knowledge! I'm quite jealous really!!
Thank you. :)
I learned a lot of it from looking at a ton of pictures of mixed breeds, as well as from the posts of the many genetic experts on this forum.
And I just realized I wrote “red” instead of “silver” in my post... (edited) :oops:

Last edited:
Thank you. :)
I learned a lot of it from looking at a ton of pictures of mixed breeds, as well as from the posts of the many genetic experts on this forum.
And I just realized I wrote “red” instead of “silver” in my post... :oops:
I'm not sure how you make sense of all the genetics anyway.
The fact you've learnt from some of those confusing posts is amazing in itself lol

That is very interesting. I am definitely going down a rabbit hole this weekend on the subject. I have always been a casual chicken farmer and have never raised to show or breed specifically. Thanks for the info I will be looking into chicken genetics and the recessive genes!

Back
Top Bottom