Leghorn: broody or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elise1313, Jul 18, 2010.

1. elise1313

elise1313 New Egg

Jan 1, 2010
    I have a California White Leghorn who I thought went broody. She's about 8 months old and was laying eggs daily since she was about 24 weeks old.

I've done everything to get her to snap out of it: caged for a day, pull her off the nest every day several times a day, dunked her bum in cold water and i even went as far as putting a baby chick under her! Nothing has worked and it's been over a month. She comes off the nest on her own about once a day and goes right to the water. When all of the other hens are finished laying for the day, I close up the coop keeping her out. She acts relatively normal, eating, drinking, dust bathing but mostly tries really hard to get back in to the coop. At this point, her comb and wattle are not super red, kind of pink and look really dry. I'm not really sure what else to do and she's making some of the other chooks unhappy as she's taken over the most prized nesting box. It is summer and pretty warm: ranging over the past month from 85-100 degrees.

Any thoughts? Is she broody or does she have a disease or disorder of sorts?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have a brown and two white broody leghorns right now also. I keep throwing them out, but so far not much is working- good luck!!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unusual in a leghorn, but it sure sounds like she is broody.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Broody [​IMG] One of my white leghorn hens hatched 9-10 we have colored leghorns that are broody frequently..the legs make super broodys the hatch rates on mine are far higher than those so called broody breeds.

5. elise1313

elise1313 New Egg

Jan 1, 2010
    I can't have a roo where I live and it's really hard to get fertile eggs to put under her.

I guess my biggest question: how long do I wait for her to not be broody anymore?

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by