Leghorn chick--pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by madornato, Oct 12, 2009.

1. madornato

madornato Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Newnan, GA
    Hi. I have 4 leghorn chicks that are around 5 weeks old that are supposed to be pullets/hens. One, however, has a much bigger, brighter red comb than the other 3. The combs of the other 3 are much smaller and light pink. Do you think that I have a rooster in the bunch, or do you think that the one's comb is just developing a lot faster than the other 3? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, but I was hoping someone out there might be able to tell me a little earlier.

Thanks,
    Melissa

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Hi Melissa, Please will you post some pictures please. Then we might be able to tell better.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Pics would be helpful, but I will tell you in my experience, my little WLH roo's comb developed very early and boy was it RED!

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    yeah- sounds like a roo. 5 weeks is way early for a pullet to get a red comb.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    5 weeks roos are obvious in leghorns..I can start finding them in my bunch by 2 weeks..if it's comb is big and red with wattles starting well it will be saying Cock A Doodle Doo soon-my leghorn boys are crowing around 8 weeks. It is very hard to sex these accurately as day olds so having a little roo in a bunch of pullets is not that uncommon-we had 2 out of 5 this spring in an all pullet order.

6. madornato

madornato Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Newnan, GA
    The comb is big and red on this particular chick but there are no wattles yet. I don't know what that means. I'll try to post a picture later if I can. Thanks.

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:99.99% chance that it is a roo. It's that obvious with leghorns.

[​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    At 8 weeks the roos will start becoming a new color and the hens will stay the same color. So then you will know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by