Leghorn chicken Comb Question....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jgcalifornia, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    We rescued 2 Leghorn hens about 2 months ago that came from living in battery cages.
    Lately I've noticed both of their combs have gotten increasingly smaller. They have since gotten healthy and eating the best they ever have.
    I just want to make sure this is either normal, or expected, or ok.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't worry, they look good to me.
    Do they think they died and went to heaven?
    Have they returned to laying?

3. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks for your reply.
    Haha...Most of the time it looks like they are in a constant state of wonder ..This was their first time ever seeing/feeling grass, dirt, flowers, plants..pretty much everything that doesn't exist in a prison..

They have not.
    I believe that is why they, along with approx 500 other Leghorn's were rescued from this factory farm. They gave the rescue group 5 days to pick all of them up or....you know...

I noticed by current pic didn't upload. The pic in the post is from about a month ago.
    I will post a pic of what they and their combs look like today.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Since the commercial place was aging them out, I'm guessing they're at the 18 month mark and getting ready to molt. When a hen molts, she's not sexually receptive and it's normal for her comb to get smaller and pale, indicating her lack of fertility to the roosters. They'll plump back up in the spring when they're ready to lay again.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    good points

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by