Leghorn Color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kung Foo Chicken, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hatched a few of my white leghorn's eggs. The roo and the two hens are solid white but, of their chicks (8) the 4 that are pullets look just like brown leghorns and the roos are solid white. Do white leghorns breed true to their color? Not that I mind this as the white chicks show dirt easily.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    White leghorns have white chicks. Somethings fishy there! [​IMG]

Brown leghorns are very pretty. [​IMG]

I have some of each and I love them, but man are they lively little buggers. And independent. GEESH!!!!

3. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    while i think that its strange that only the pullets are browns, it is possible to get them from white leghorns if, say, the hen is a dominant white with only one copy of the gene and the male is likewise. though if that be the case their father would have shown some color to him....hmmm very interesting....[yoda voice] meditate on this, i will.

4. Kung Foo Chicken

Oh thanks for your responses. I bought them from a friend of my dad's. I couldn't find chickens locally so he sold us three . He ordered his chickens from Murray McMurray and raised them. Yes, that's how they appear all the females look like brown leghorns and the males are solid white. I believe his story of origin because he showed us the box and order form they were shipped with.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Sound like redsexlinks to me.

6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have to ask what color are the eggs?
    White eggs would be a leghorn.
    Brown would be a red sex-link.

7. Kung Foo Chicken

Here is one. This is a young pullet. She has just started getting the white cheek patches (not sure of the name lol) though it is hard to tell from this cheap dig cam. She doesn't lay yet too young. She is a small flighty chicken.

I'm not sure how to get red sexlinks from what appears to be three white leghorns. I hatched these myself.

[​IMG]

The eggs hatched from are white. From all looks of things I have two small white leghorn hens and roo. I was thinking that perhaps there is a brown leghorn in the MM white leghorn pens.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Had the white hens been around another Rooster in the month before you gather the eggs. Hens can be fertile from a mating up to a month. The hens sound like they got breed by a color rooster.

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Looks like she may have goldne campine blood in her or something similar.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:Yes she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by