Leghorn comb paler than normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdleston, Jan 2, 2015.

1. jdleston

jdleston Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    My 5 month old leghorn is acting normal, save a tiny reduction in eggs/week, has had a sorta tidye looking comb for two days. The colors range from pale pink to almost white to red at times. I checked for live and mites and found none. All poop looks normal. I don't know if she is going through a winter depression :), an illness I can't name, frostbite, cold or whatever.

I want to know if I should just keep a lookout or do something more proactive than garlic, herbs and new dust bath spaces.

Hope you can sorta see in these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Not sure but it looks like frost bite... Could be a few things though... Maybe favus ( ring worm )
    How cold is it? Is it humid? What type of bedding do you use?

3. jdleston

Jul 7, 2014
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    It has been really cold, -20 to -10 for a couple days. Its a bit warmer now, but comb is remaining the same. They have a warm coop though with good ventilation. it is nice and dry. I use pine shaving deep litter and it breaks up like earth as it is supposed to, so I don't think it is humid in there. How would I check for those worms?

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Ringworm is actually a fungal infection but since you're coop is dry and you use pine shavings I doubt that it's ringworm its probably just the cold... The beginning of frostbite setting in destroying the circulation in the comb... My big buff Orpington roos comb looks fairly similar and I'm certain he has frostbite. I'm not too certain about how to treat it but I have started putting lanolin on his comb to protect it from further damage... If you search favus on the forum you should be able to find some good pics but I'm leaning toward frost bite... Favus thrives in wet bedding especially hay a few of my birds had a mild case this year. Or in bad feed...

1 person likes this.
  5. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    HI,
    Take a selection of poo to the vet so he can look for worms in the microscope.
    That's what I do.
    mg

6. jdleston

Jul 7, 2014
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    I looked on the forums for other pictures of frostbite and it does look to be early onset. I am glad I caught it early. It is warm, which I think is good. I will continue to monitor... If she starts acting abnormal, I will look into other things. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by