Leghorn egglayers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mystang89, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I have 9 Leghorn Hens that are great egglayers, however when they stop laying eggs I plan on having them over for dinner. I know they aren't meant for meat, but at this point in the economy, plus there only being one income in this house with 4 kids constantly feeling the need to eat, I try to get as much from what I use as possible. I read on this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=572238 about the leghorn not being very good to eat. Would it be feasible to sit there and process leghorn hens. They would be the first hens I've ever processed so I figured if anything else I would get the experience from it. What are you thoughts on this?

2. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    By the time a leghhorn is done with most of her laying she is going to be pretty tough. Maybe even still stringy even if you stew the meat. It will be great for broth and dog food. I would just cook for 18 hours in a crock pt for broth and give all the meat and bones (they will fall apart) to your pets.

3. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    While they wouldn't have a lot of meat, the older hens and roosters make great stock. Put celery,carrots,onions,whatever you want,and the whole carcass in. Cook for several hours or so.
    Then you can can it,or make chicken and dumplings, or noodle soup. The meat gets more tender. Now I'm hungry. Best soup or dumplings you have ever had.

4. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    So it will be tough and stringy... still meat and worth it based on the economic woes described by the poster.

5. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thanks alot everyone. Sounds like my hens will still be useful even after egg laying prime is over. Good to know [​IMG]

6. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    they are chickens!!! so, they are good to eat, don't worry. you will have for your kids the best soups ever, stews, pilau, whatever you want to cook.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    There is no bird so tough that a pressure cooker cannot tenderize them. Leghorns don't make much meat, but they'll still make the best pot of chicken and rice you've ever tasted.

8. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    All this talk about food is making me want to go out there and process one now....and I only have 2 that are old enough to be laying, the rest are only 2 weeks old.[​IMG]

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Can them!

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    If you have a pressure cooker, then you could pressure cook that carcass and get some really good eating. Makes good soup and dumplings.
    We can ours in jars for use as chicken salad and quick casseroles and such, and also can the stock from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by