Leghorn gone broody update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L&Schickens, May 10, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I guess I should have taken all the eggs away from the Leghorn that was sitting on 15 welsummer eggs. A few at a time she let the eggs die by moving around so much and not gathering them back up under her. On the day they were to hatch she had 5 left. The next day I went out to check and 4 were stone cold out of the nest. One had hatched and was peeping loudly. It was not under momma hen. So I put it under her and it got quite. Everything seemed ok. I went out later only to find she had beaten the chick nearly to death. I brought it in and revived it a little bit, but it died later that night. Lesson learned, don't let a leghorn hatch eggs. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry it worked out that way for you. [​IMG]
    Guess it's not the chickens fault they've had all the broodiness and mothering instincts bred out of them by us humans.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Broody leghorn's now you don't hear of that often.

AL

4. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    She tried and I let her try, but every time I checked her there were eggs cold and out of the nest. I should have gotten a clue from that. She will not be allowed to brood eggs again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by