Leghorn gone wacko.

Jcincotjo

Hatching
Oct 30, 2020
She’s 4 1/2 yrs old. Only molted once. Now molting hard, almost no feathers and very skittish. Walks backwards a lot. Bumps into things. Shakes her head a lot. Squats in the middke if no where, gets up and walks backward some more. Eats fine. Drinks fine. Thoughts?

Jcincotjo

Hatching
Oct 30, 2020
This poor girl is having a hard molt. I had a hen behave much the same way last fall during her hard molt.
She is exceedingly uncomfortable. Do everything you can not to handle her or touch her.
Offer her some high protein treats like canned cat food or tuna.
Tuna...good idea. I’ve given her hard boiled eggs. She loves those. I’ll try tuna tomorrow. Thank you.

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
She’s 4 1/2 yrs old. Only molted once. Now molting hard, almost no feathers and very skittish. Walks backwards a lot. Bumps into things. Shakes her head a lot. Squats in the middke if no where, gets up and walks backward some more. Eats fine. Drinks fine. Thoughts?
I've owned White Leghorns and they ARE skittish and can fly high too. I've had to clip their wing feathers often.
They are several possibilities with her behavior other than acting like a skittish Leghorn.
It could be a genetic issue, a vitamin deficiency, an early injury as a chick (such as a peck on the head or neck), maybe even the onset of crook neck.
I would start treating her for a vitamin deficiency. Avian Super Pack would be best. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days once a month.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/avian-super-pack-4oz

LaFleche

Free Ranging
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
Often this behaviour is seen during hard molt when the pinfeathers are long enough to pinch them with every move they make and the chicken will try to evade it.
Provide vitamin additive in the water and various feeders with high protein feed and it will be overcome soon.

Top Bottom