Leghorn has been sitting --LATEST UPDATE!!! Sad ending

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HHandbasket, Oct 31, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

My leghorn, who is 28 weeks and has been laying since September 15th, has been sitting since at LEAST 8:30 this morning! I opened the henhouse door and let them out of the run into the yard later than I normally do because I slept in today. When I let the girls out at 8:35 this morning, I knew Bertha had already laid because I heard her "announcement", so I checked the nest. Felipa, the leghorn, was in there sitting which is about the normal time for her. She usually lays around 9:00 a.m., sometimes as late as 11:00, but she's reliable (yay for the egg-laying-machine that the leghorns are known to be!). Anyway, so here she was sitting at 8:35. I went ahead and pulled Bertha's pretty green egg out of the nest so I could bring it in and weigh it (yes, we weigh and record every egg). It's now almost 2:15 p.m., and the leghorn is STILL sitting in the nest. Sometimes lately, she has been in there a long time, maybe 45 minutes to an hour. Her eggs are usually about 1.7 oz. She gets grower food (I want them to finish off that bag before I buy layer crumble) and she gets garden trimmings, kitchen scraps, bugs (my birds free range all day, every day), the occasional mouse, and there is always free choice oyster shell available that I see her pecking at daily (she makes a big mess with it, too). She's healthy, happy, active, LOVES my husband (but he gives her bites of his food whenever he has something LOL), and she's otherwise a good chicken.

Could she be going broody? I mean, come on, she's a leghorn! She is sitting on 3 fake eggs. I took one of them and moved it to the other nest a couple of hours ago & she put it back in her nest and is sitting on it. Because my girls are just starting to lay, all 3 nesting boxes had a fake egg in them. Over the course of the last week, the leghorn has gathered all the eggs into HER nest, but she's done that a couple of times since before she started laying.

Any thoughts/ideas? Could she be eggbound? If so, how would I check for that? I thank y'all in advance for your help/advice!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Does whe have any of the other broody behaviors? other than just sitting the nest? Does she puff up and growl when you look in or stroke her?

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I have a white leghorn that has been sitting for 19 1/2 days! They can go broody. Mine is the same age as yours, and this is her second bout of broodiness. I finally gave her eggs. I should see babies tomorrow or Tuesday!

4. HHandbasket

Well if my girl has gone broody, she's gonna be sorely disappointed. There are no roosters on the premises. Nothing's gonna hatch out of the wooden eggs she's hiding under her butt.

I went out about an hour and a half ago and stuck my hand under her to see if she'd laid anything yet. She hadn't, but she was kinda wet/slimy (kinda like eggwhite?? But only a smidgeon--I checked). She got up and came out but was walking funny. She laid down in the garden and assumed the laying position, and you can tell she's miserable and trying to push it out.

I picked her up and put her in the henhouse to see what she would do, and she went right into the nesting box and sat back down. She's been there an hour now. She looks uncomfortable. Her comb is flopped all the way over, more so than normal.

Could she be eggbound? If so, how does one correct it?

5. HHandbasket

She's in REALLY BAD shape! My husband just found her in the run laying next to the waterer. She has gone from looking uncomfortable to looking downright sick/miserable.

She was fine before this and everyone else is doing well. I could really use some thoughts/ideas here.

Thanks, guys!

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I've never had an eggbound hen, but I've read some threads in here suggesting a bath of warm water and even KY Jelly. Good luck and I hope she's okay!

7. HHandbasket

Thank you! I did do a search and go through some of the threads and will be following your and others' suggestions that I bathe her in warm water to see if that helps. She seemed to really like it when my husband was holding her (he emits heat & she was right up next to him). I'm glad I'm off work tomorrow... looks like I'll be spending my day off taking care of a sick/eggbound hen.

I'll keep y'all posted. Thank you, everyone for your good thoughts for Felipa.

8. HHandbasket

This is the worst news imaginable.

Farmer Lew went out a few minutes ago to check on Felipa and see how she's doing. It is with DEEP sorrow and a heavy heart that I report that Felipa was found passed away in the run about 15 minutes ago. She was stiff as a board and apparently had been gone for a couple of hours. The last time we had checked on her before that was around 8 p.m., and she had moved herself up to a shelf in the henhouse (we have an old bookshelf in there that they roost/sit on at night), so I thought that was a good sign. Hubby found her on the ground right next to the bookshelf, stiff.

We do not know what happened to her. Prior to this, she was a perfectly healthy, happy chicken. Just yesterday we were laughing at what a riot she is! She's so sweet ... or was ... just the nicest leghorn. My husband just dug a hole in the backyard and placed her in it. I don't think I'm going to sleep very well tonight.

9. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh my gosh!!!! I cannot believe this..! I am so sorry [​IMG] I am very very sad she was SUCH a sweetheart! Jumped in my lap and loved being pet, really changed my mind about "flighty" leghorns... May she RIP what a beautiful girl she was... I am so sorry.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by