Leghorn hen??? Brown Leghorn hen is setting/ broody

LeghornGuy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
New Orleans
I thought that leghorn hens or the breed of leghorns dont set.
I have a brown leghorn hen and she has been setting or sitting on four eggs for three days.
Is it uncommon for her to go broody?
Is it too cold or out of season ?
I live in Louisiana and the fall/winters are mild.
She was one of the hens that began to lay eggs three weeks ago. She has all of her new feathers but I am surprised to see her set all day on the eggs. l
She looks great! Her comb is lipstick red and she is very protective of her eggs.
Normally, She is hyper and she will NOT let me pick her up and hold her.
Is this just a phase or will she try to hatch the eggs?
I wanted leghorns because they dont set and they lay eggs daily.
I dont want her to waist her time setting on eggs with the cool weather (60 degrees is cool in the South) if the eggs will not hatch.
Should I let her become a mother?
Will she be a good mother?
I am not sure if brown leghorns are good mothers.
Your comments are welcome.

Hey, there are ALWAYS exceptions and looks like you have one too! My sexlink is a broody sucker and she's not supposed to be. I say if you can have more chicks, let her hatch away! Don't worry bout the weather as long as she has few enough that she can keep warm. Meaning, a brood of 12 chicks probably isn't best this time of year, but 4 or so would be fine.

Hey Leghorn guy!!! I'm so excited to see someone that is not far away from me!

-sorry don't know the answer to your question but I wanted to say hi! Are you actually in N.O. or aroung there. I'm towards grand isle.

Hi Kristina
I am living in New Orleans. (My folks own property in the city)
I am rebuilding my home in St. Bernard Parish.
There are two more people from Southern Louisiana. One lady lives on the Northshore-Abita Springs, Louisiana and another person lives in Jefferson.
I noticed there are several people in NOLA that have chickens. However, they are unware of this site.
What kind of chickens do you have?
I have raised leghorns because they are not a heavy breed and they seem to do ok in our hot and humid climate.
keep in touch

I have a minagerie of birds actually LOL I have some silkies, showgirls, bantam cochins, buff orp, redsex link, seramas....other misc. birds...geese ducks...and just hatched out some BLRW! So nice to see someone from the southern part of LA!

Back
Top Bottom